Mahlkonig EK43 vs K30 2.0

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
NG1990

#1: Post by NG1990 »

Calling all EK and Slayer owners... need some help!

Well it turns out that due to customs regulations I won't be able to purchase something like a Monolith, EG, etc etc... unless I procure myself an importers license, in which case I'd have to purchase more than one (and still fork up over 50% in taxes!). A local roaster told me some unlucky fella bought a Tanzania online and customs completely disassembled it for "security purposes", so he basically wound up with a box full of nuts, bolts and plates. :shock:

So I'm "stuck" with my local distributors: Mahlkonig & Mazzer. I've ruled Mazzer out entirely (currently using a Fausto which is like a Super Jolly with better motor), so that leaves me with MK.

My choices are: K30 Vario, K30 2.0, Twin 2.0 Hybrid, and EK43 (they don't carry the S version).

The K30 Vario / 2.0 are good for espresso, but I've read they're not as good for single dosing (they just weren't built for that).

The Hybrid seems like a good compromise but I've run out of counter space (it's 37 cm wide, my coffee corner is 72 cm wide and the machine takes up 45 cm).

So I'm left with the good ole EK43. I've read about EKspresso, and understand it produces really fast flowing shots with great sweetness and clarity, at the expense of body. Now, I am confused as to whether this was due to the older burrs not being really suited to espresso, or if this is true to all versions.

The question is: Would a new EK be suited to undertake Slayer shots with extended pre-brew? Or should I just get a K30 and look into a dedicated brew grinder (which will probably be stored under the counter)? I don't really care for the extra dosing/puck prep routine the EK might entail. Last thing I want is to end up with a grinder that would not pair well with my machine's defining characteristic: well extracted, flow profiled shots with more body.

Denis

#2: Post by Denis »

You can consider buying Mahlkonig e65s the new one.

And if you buy ek43 you need to be sure you buy 2018, since the older ones are not so good aligned from factory.

My opinion is that any ek43 should be upgraded SSP burrs for espresso (red speed) and get alignment. Without these 2 parts the ek43 is pretty much useless and not at full potential.

Ekshots are not fast flowing but slow flowing, espresso shots pulled in 60-70 seconds.

chris_n

#3: Post by chris_n replying to Denis »

what are you talking about? are you from reddit or something?

Capac

#4: Post by Capac »

I'm pretty sure that shots are still pulled in 30 seconds range...

Denis

#5: Post by Denis »

If you need more information just search.

This is under extracted shot on an ek43 with EK burrs and unaligned. Fast flowing, you can tweak it bit with profiling, but he doesn't have the idro-compresomatic there.
This is an Ekspresso shot with SSP red speed, aligned and profiling.

If you don't change burrs and align the Ek43 then better don't buy it and search for something else. This is not a joke this is the reality.

NG1990 (original poster)

#6: Post by NG1990 (original poster) »

Yeah, I asked about the E65S and they don't carry it either. Plus it does not seem like a HUGE improvement over my current grinder.

I am of course aware I'll have to spend quite some time aligning it properly, and am willing to get SSP burrs in the future.

I watched a couple of those videos... what confuses me is the conflicting opinions. I've had people told me to stay away from an EK + Slayer combo, that there's no way it'd work. Others have said it's the best thing I can get taking into account the fact I cannot get the MonoFlat / EG / Max / V3...

Down here people don't have Slayers... there's a cafe that boasts a Steam X but that's a different machine altogether.

kolu

#7: Post by kolu »

you might also consider a K30 Vario with EK10 burrs (EK8 ProM, Kenia) - that should give you an "EK43" style unimodal grind distribution without the need for EK43. I have an EK10 at home for almost a year and love it for both filter and espresso.
and it single-doses well, but just remember to throw in the coffee when the boy runs, otherwise the grind distribution isn't so neat.
last thing - you will have to step out of the box a lot. 1:2 ratio espresso extracted to over 22% yield in less than 25 secs is like quite common even with quite lightly roasted beans.
it just doesn't suit botomless portafilters and super-tight ristrettos I think (or its just me, dunno)

NG1990 (original poster)

#8: Post by NG1990 (original poster) »

kolu wrote:you might also consider a K30 Vario with EK10 burrs (EK8 ProM, Kenia) - that should give you an "EK43" style unimodal grind distribution without the need for EK43. I have an EK10 at home for almost a year and love it for both filter and espresso.
and it single-doses well, but just remember to throw in the coffee when the boy runs, otherwise the grind distribution isn't so neat.
last thing - you will have to step out of the box a lot. 1:2 ratio espresso extracted to over 22% yield in less than 25 secs is like quite common even with quite lightly roasted beans.
I'll definitely look into that too -- while I have plenty of kitchen space in terms of height, the EK does look huge.
kolu wrote:it just doesn't suit botomless portafilters and super-tight ristrettos I think (or its just me, dunno)
This is what worries me. The purpose of the Slayer is to use reduced flow for looong pre-infusion (and increased body due to finer grind). I've had espresso shots from an EK, and they were sweet, well extracted, but very light on body.

Zaneemomo
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Zaneemomo »

I've had a K30 Vario for about a year, am quite happy with it. I can get excellent grounds for espresso and drip, not french press.

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#10: Post by Terranova »

NG1990 wrote: I've had espresso shots from an EK, and they were sweet, well extracted, but very light on body.
You can't eat your cake and have it too.
EK will produce sweeter shots but "hasta la vista mouthfeel". No more buttery crema syrup shots :D

You could make a compromise with a Super Jolly and install these "unimodal" SSP burrs 64mm.