Mahlkonig EK43 vs Fuji R220

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
ripvanmd

#1: Post by ripvanmd »

I've recently been doing a fairly good job of avoiding more coffee purchases but I've been batting around the idea of "upgrading" my ek43 (bought used at a bargain) with ssp low uniformity burrs to a Fuji r-220.

Am I just crazy? Mostly I use it for chemex and origami dripper. Part of it is the smaller form factor though the size of the ek isn't a huge problem. I would buy from fengjen in Taiwan for voltage and frequency issues.

Anyone with experience on both?

Denis

#2: Post by Denis »

Fuji R220 is 500$?

Buy Xeoleo 60mm ghost burrs with 250W. Using it since 2018, over 10 kg of coffee, only light roasts from Nordic roasters, and had no problem grinding anything. 20g for aeropress (fine) takes about 4 sec. Retention wise after grinding 5 kg I opened it, and cleaned it and inside there was ~1g of coffee brushing it off.

Xeoleo is ~150$. Alignment is not so important in ghost burr grinders or in conical, so I don't see any real reason to buy Fuji instead.

ripvanmd (original poster)

#3: Post by ripvanmd (original poster) »

Do you think there is any incremental benefit to switching from the EK to a ghost tooth burr? Have an aged Jericho and the EK has it by a nose.

redbone

#4: Post by redbone »

If going with Taiwanese Xeoleo suggest the larger ghost tooth burrs closer to 80mm with 200w motor. Buying Chinese knockoff grinders
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

#5: Post by ripvanmd (original poster) replying to redbone »

Interesting xeoleo selection. They have a variable speed ghost tooth option. Can't tell if it's 220v only or if there is truly a 110v. Bit more expensive but variable speed would be neat.

iBrew

#6: Post by iBrew »

The EK43 will give you more of the fruity notes, the ghost burr will be very clean, sweet and more body. I guess it really depends what you want? both are excellent grinders that produce outstanding brew coffee, not sure one is better than the other just slightly different. If a home user is looking for a new machine and is between the ghost burrs or an EK43, I'd highly recommend buying the ghost burrs for the savings as it runs toe to toe with the EK43. In your situation it's kinda side stepping.

I don't own a EK43 but earlier today we did a side by side testing with my OE Apex.

Yan

#7: Post by Yan »

iBrew wrote:I don't own a EK43 but earlier today we did a side by side testing with my OE Apex.
What is the result? and which one do you prefer for pour over?

Cheers

iBrew

#8: Post by iBrew replying to Yan »

Both were equally as good, EK43 highlighted the fruit flavors a bit better, the strawberry had a bit more sharpness to it. The Apex let the strawberry flavor through but it was more balanced, not as sharp. We couldn't really say one was better or worse for pour over. EK43 with that strong strawberry flavor was more impressive on first taste but actually drinking the coffee we found the more balanced Apex to be more enjoyable, if that makes any sense.

Yan

#9: Post by Yan replying to iBrew »

Glad to hear the results and thanks for the effort comparing the grinders...
I also like the results from the Apex especially for pour over...

Cheers

#10: Post by ripvanmd (original poster) »

I actually ended up placing an order for the xeoleo variable speed ghost tooth burr grinder. Should be interesting.