Mahlkonig EK43 grinder for home

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
Soundcoffee

Postby Soundcoffee » Jul 11, 2018, 4:18 pm

Hello

I want to buy a grinder for home use .
What about mahlkonig ek43 grinder ?
Is it perfect for espresso or I can you it for V60 , siphon, Chemex ?
What do you advise me ?

Capac

Postby Capac » Jul 11, 2018, 6:12 pm

I'm curious as well, just afraid it's a bit large for home use.

Prescott CR

Postby Prescott CR » Jul 11, 2018, 6:51 pm

It is a large grinder.

I had to adjust the range tighter to use it for espresso. Which means I lost some of the range on the coarse side of the dial.

Since I'm only using it for espresso I can't say I lost the ability to dial in a pour over, I can say if you use the most coarse setting for press pot it's gone from my dial.

That said one could probably modify the dial so it doesn't stop at the extremes. Maybe.

If a Monolith can do the range you want that may be the best grinder to get. I realize they are limited production grinders but they'll fit in a kitchen easier!
-Richard

Lacoffee

Postby Lacoffee » Jul 11, 2018, 10:46 pm

r120 will likely give you more "traditional" results across the entire range. Roughly the same size. Doesn't need tightening. And if you're good with the size they are easy to come by. No production wait. Look up ek43 shot types for espresso. Not your normal pour. You should try before you buy.
Andrew

Prescott CR

Postby Prescott CR » Jul 11, 2018, 11:20 pm

I had to tighten the R120 to get decent times as well, and it was much more difficult to adjust but it is a wonderful monster.
-Richard

BaristaBoy E61

Postby BaristaBoy E61 » Jul 11, 2018, 11:29 pm

A Monolith MAX might be worth the wait and it's far more 'Kitchen Friendly'.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

bettysnephew

Postby bettysnephew » Jul 12, 2018, 12:07 am

I see everyone automatically suggesting going with the MAX in several different threads, and yes I want one also, but I truly believe there are going to be more unhappy folks that cannot get in the queue than happy ones that are lucky enough to be on the website at the proper moment. I am fortunate enough to have a KMC and a Mazzer Major which are working for me until I get lucky enough to get one of the lucky slots for a MAX. Also if you read the reviews closely there does not necessarily show a need for the MAX unless you are grinding light roast beans. If you are not brewing light roast beans the regular flat with the improved burrs might be the best choice. Certainly not naysaying Denis creation but it may not especially be for everyone.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

erik82

Postby erik82 » Jul 12, 2018, 1:59 am

The EK43, MAX, EG-1 etc are completely useless if you only drink dark roasts. Theses grinders only have their value with light roasts. If you don't drink light roasts then buy another grinder which will be much easier to make good espresso with.

Search this forum or google because there's written a lot about the EK43. If you need to ask this question you probably don't want/need an EK43.

cebseb

Postby cebseb » Jul 12, 2018, 2:07 am

Lacoffee wrote:Look up ek43 shot types for espresso. Not your normal pour.

Not true.
Full stop. No half measures. Thankful to be in such a supportive community.

mkrissel

Postby mkrissel » Jul 12, 2018, 9:19 am

There is a "short" version that is better suited to a home environment. https://goo.gl/Xk6nvg