Lyn Weber bean cellar or Kanso bean cellar - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jpsm (original poster)

#11: Post by jpsm (original poster) »

jevenator wrote:Just to throw maybe a small curveball here. It is not as fancy as the bean cellars you guys are talking about but I found these at IKEA for $3 for two.

<image>

I forgot the name of them but can search for them if someone is interested.

They also carry these glass test tubes with a bamboo holder for them but I thought they were very tall and would look funny with only 16-20g of beans in there.

I like them a lot for single dosing and feel good that I spent $6 instead of ~$150 w/o tax & shipping.

My plastic V60 has found use also by acting as a funnel to load them up.
The problem with test tubes without the gas release valve is that some of them explode and break or the covers pop out. Also I prefer the plastic ones over glass as a possibility of dropping them down the hopper while dosing it is quite possible(I know i have a wild imagination LOL)

Advertisement
Bret

#12: Post by Bret »

jevenator wrote:Just to throw maybe a small curveball here. It is not as fancy as the bean cellars you guys are talking about but I found these at IKEA for $3 for two.

I forgot the name of them but can search for them if someone is interested.

They also carry these glass test tubes with a bamboo holder for them but I thought they were very tall and would look funny with only 16-20g of beans in there.

I like them a lot for single dosing and feel good that I spent $6 instead of ~$150 w/o tax & shipping.

My plastic V60 has found use also by acting as a funnel to load them up.
I got the Rimforsa product from IKEA. I can't recommend it: the caps and seals don't behave the same, loose and leaky on some tubes, very tight on others. I assume this is variances in the borosilicate glass, which seems to be problematic in terms of matching tight tolerances in every application I have had experience with (including the LWW bean cellars). The images presenting them on the IKEA page are not accurate/deceptive: that ''stand" that holds four of them will not work as shown, sitting upright on the counter. It only works if you back it up against something, or if you hang it from the specific wall mount rack. I decided to use them (since they are too large for espresso single dosing) to hold a 'dose' for drip coffee. The seals are just not consistently good enough, so some tubes will have rapidly staling coffee, some will have a slightly better result. I don't have the wall mount, so using these without it is just too much hassle. One could drill some holes and workaround that, but the value of the tubes themselves just doesn't, for me, warrant even that minimal effort.
★ Helpful

jevenator

#13: Post by jevenator »

jpsm wrote:The problem with test tubes without the gas release valve is that some of them explode and break or the covers pop out. Also I prefer the plastic ones over glass as a possibility of dropping them down the hopper while dosing it is quite possible(I know i have a wild imagination LOL)
I've heard of a mason jar exploading once. I always burp my containers once a day if they are fresh. Never had a problem wiht pressure buildup because I'm usually going to be using them within 2 days.

Dropping them is a valid concern however. I wasn't careful and actually dropped mine on the tip of the origami dripper. It chipped off some of the porcelain.
Bret wrote:I got the Rimforsa product from IKEA. I can't recommend it: the caps and seals don't behave the same, loose and leaky on some tubes, very tight on others. I assume this is variances in the borosilicate glass, which seems to be problematic in terms of matching tight tolerances in every application I have had experience with (including the LWW bean cellars). The images presenting them on the IKEA page are not accurate/deceptive: that ''stand" that holds four of them will not work as shown, sitting upright on the counter. It only works if you back it up against something, or if you hang it from the specific wall mount rack. I decided to use them (since they are too large for espresso single dosing) to hold a 'dose' for drip coffee. The seals are just not consistently good enough, so some tubes will have rapidly staling coffee, some will have a slightly better result. I don't have the wall mount, so using these without it is just too much hassle. One could drill some holes and workaround that, but the value of the tubes themselves just doesn't, for me, warrant even that minimal effort.
Those are true points. Another reason I didn't want to get it was because I don't have a wall to hang them up on either. The small glass containers I have work fine for my purposes though because I usually only use 4 at a time. That will be good enough for 2 days. If you plan on storing a 1/2lb+ more in these to have for a while then yah I could see why one would want the pricer set. But in my honest opinion the cellars are just super luxury things for home use and just add convenience and looks. Which I guess that's what the hobby drags you into.

jpsm (original poster)

#14: Post by jpsm (original poster) »

jevenator wrote:I've heard of a mason jar exploading once. I always burp my containers once a day if they are fresh. Never had a problem wiht pressure buildup because I'm usually going to be using them within 2 days.

Dropping them is a valid concern however. I wasn't careful and actually dropped mine on the tip of the origami dripper. It chipped off some of the porcelain.

Those are true points. Another reason I didn't want to get it was because I don't have a wall to hang them up on either. The small glass containers I have work fine for my purposes though because I usually only use 4 at a time. That will be good enough for 2 days. If you plan on storing a 1/2lb+ more in these to have for a while then yah I could see why one would want the pricer set. But in my honest opinion the cellars are just super luxury things for home use and just add convenience and looks. Which I guess that's what the hobby drags you into.
Full disclosure everything on my signature is being used in my home but eventually it will be transferred to my cafe. Still want to save money whenever I can that is why I always ask around the forums or home espresso afficionados in facebook or the cafe owners group.

I train myself to use the bean gate/stopper r on my ek all the time.... I make sure whenever I open the hopper the gate is always shut and only open the gate when the lid is on. I think the glass beancellar and the kanso are pretty luxurious. the plastic lw cellars are still on the pricier side that I think I have to swallo.. Apparently that's the result of little to no competition on a niche product. :cry:

Tanax

#15: Post by Tanax »

I have not used the Lyn Weber ones, mainly because shipping was SUPER EXPENSIVE. Plus the product itself was quite expensive. Kanso, being both cheaper as well as reasonable shipping cost was my choice. I also find that I really love the marble stone cellar base.

I've used it for about 7 months. Have not had a single problem with it, both works and looks great!
But like I said, I haven't used LW so can't speak of how they compare.

jpsm (original poster)

#16: Post by jpsm (original poster) replying to Tanax »

What was the longest time you tried storing beans in it? and yes the shipping is crazy expensive but I am using a forwarder so I wont have to pay local tax and save a ton of $$$ on shipping costs.

jpsm (original poster)

#17: Post by jpsm (original poster) »

Pulled the trigger on the commercial bean cellars as soon as new stocks were up on the website. Hoping I would like it! Thanks everyone!

Advertisement
Ben C

#18: Post by Ben C »

For those of you with LW commercial bean cellars, what do you use for a funnel?

jpsm (original poster)

#19: Post by jpsm (original poster) replying to Ben C »

I think any cheap plastic or metal funnel would work :mrgreen: Ill be getting a tiny metal funnel because those plastic funnels dont look pretty :lol:

Madman13

#20: Post by Madman13 replying to jpsm »