Low Retention Single Dose Espresso Grinders that are Not Chinese?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Emoto

#1: Post by Emoto »

Looking for a low retention single dose grinder for espresso only. It needs to be able to go VERY fine and would prefer stepless.

I have been researching grinders and it has been a very slow process of reading threads and then doing additional research, so I thought I would just ask.

Have been running a Rancilio Rocky for a very long time and it is mostly fine, but now and then I encounter beans that I cannot grind finely enough to get proper slow enough extraction, so that has me looking for a new grinder. I would prefer to avoid Chinese made grinders if possible, and since this board is apolitical I think it inappropriate to detail why. I have no set budget, but will consider any grinder that suits my needs.

What do you recommend?

palica

#2: Post by palica »

Eureka Mignon Oro SD is made in Italy and is probably checking most of your requirement.

gobucks

#3: Post by gobucks »

The Acaia Orbit is going on sale next month, I think it's made in Taiwan.

BaristaBob

#4: Post by BaristaBob »

Looking for zero retention and grinding to the "choke point" then any of the Monolith grinders would fit the bill. Five years ago I went from a Rocky to a MonoCon...and more recently to a MFlat with SSW burrs, and have never looked back. Despite the tough criticism on the Rocky, those 50mm flat burrs do a decent job for that price point, but it has it limits.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

dockoelboto

#5: Post by dockoelboto »

Biggest question is what is your budget?

Many great options at each price point:

DF64
Niche Zero
Eureka SD
Ceado
Option-O P64/p100
Weber Key/EG1
Versalab
Kafatek MC4/Flat/Flat Max

Budget is the biggest question, next is how quickly do you want one. I know there are others, these are just common choices.

I just received my Kafatek Monolith Max - made in Seattle WA. Fantastic SD grinder.

palica

#6: Post by palica »

dockoelboto wrote:Biggest question is what is your budget?

Many great options at each price point:

DF64
Niche Zero
Eureka SD
Ceado
Option-O P64/p100
Weber Key/EG1
Versalab
Kafatek MC4/Flat/Flat Max

Budget is the biggest question, next is how quickly do you want one. I know there are others, these are just common choices.
You can remove at least the 2 first ones: OP does not want a product manufactured in China.

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

Every grinder out there will likely contain components made in China, even if from an EU-based company or labeled "Made in USA". Electronics, motors, and fasteners are common examples.

Budget is the question.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Pressino »

Jeff wrote:Every grinder out there will likely contain components made in China, even if from an EU-based company or labeled "Made in USA". Electronics, motors, and fasteners are common examples.
Budget is the question.
I suspect that by "China" the OP meant (for political/ethical reasons) the PRC and not the ROC (Taiwan). The ROC is a good source of the parts you mention if one prefers not to buy stuff made in the PRC. However, I'll let the OP chime back in to address this issue.

Emoto (original poster)

#9: Post by Emoto (original poster) replying to Pressino »

You are correct. I have no issue with Taiwan and I have a deep respect and admiration for traditional Chinese culture. My small expenditures don't matter a whole lot, but to the extent I can, I try to make good choices.

Arafel

#10: Post by Arafel »

Kafatek grinders are made in the U.S. I have a Flat and it was a revelation. I'd look at Denis' stuff for sure.