Looking to buy a new espresso grinder, budget around $800

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
monkeyboy

#1: Post by monkeyboy »

Had a Mazzer Major for many years - rock solid, but needed alot of space as it is big. Sold house, moving to a new one - want something I can leave on the counter next to espresso machine (ECM Technika IV)
Needs to fit under a cabinet (17.5" clearance)

Would like to have electronic dosing - but I also like simple and rock solid performance (vs electric parts going out, etc) - so I could go either way.

I only make 1-2 espresso drinks per day, so no huge quantities - occasionally knock out 5-6 drinks if guests are over.
Something that looks attractive on a counter is a plus.
Budget is around the $800 mark
Probably go for new vs used.

Open to any thoughts / suggestions...

My short list is currently:
Caedo E5P $680
64mm
300watt

Caedo E6P $885
64mm
300 Watts

Ceado E37J $998
64mm
300watts

ECM S-Manuale 64 $750
64mm
450 watts

ECM S-Automatik 64 $950
64mm
450 watts

greenbeans
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by greenbeans »

I would also consider the Fiorenzato F4

Advertisement
GregoryJ

#3: Post by GregoryJ »

For only 1-2 drinks per day, you might consider single dosing. I used a Niche Zero (and still do), but also added a Eureka Atom 65 last year, and it's awesome for higher amounts of usage. It has some noticeable retention, as most hopper fed grinders do, so you either have to purge a couple grams before your first shot, or just be ok that your first shot of the day will run a little bit faster.

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

I've become a die-hard, single-dosing fan over the years, but I'll stick with the hopper-fed theme.

The Eureka grinders would also be on my list. Some chose to buy gray market through a European vendor for significantly less than the US vendors are offering. There are risks with this, especially around warranty service. This was even before the euro and dollar became close to parity.

On the 64 mm burr grinders, do any of them accept Super Jolly burrs? The reason I ask is that there has been a lot of innovation in burrs in that size, that might be worth considering a few years down the road. Unfortunately, "64 mm" isn't a standard, as the direction of rotation, hole pattern, stacking height, and even OD/ID can vary.

rsn4534

#5: Post by rsn4534 »

Baratza Sette 270 Wi (must have the Wi) will automatically dose based on weight and its very accurate. Put your portafilter underneath, with grams set at 17, it will hit that mark most of the time or be lighter or heavier by .1 gram.

tinroofrusted
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by tinroofrusted »

I have an old Solis Scala with upgraded burrs and which I've modified to allow me to grind fine enough for espresso and it works great. A real workhorse.

Mountain

#7: Post by Mountain »

I upgraded to a Niche Zero from a Macap M4 2.5 years ago. I would highly recommend it. Small footprint. Gives me great results with a Decent Espresso Machine which is highly sensitive to grind and puck prep.

Advertisement
Odie

#8: Post by Odie »

I would go for Eureka XL. It can be used as both single dose and on demand, also has low retention as well. I have it for more than one year, very glad to use it.
Good luck. Thanks.

GregoryJ

#9: Post by GregoryJ »

Odie wrote:I would go for Eureka XL. It can be used as both single dose and on demand
I guess you could use any grinder for single dosing, but it was not a great experience single dosing the Mignon Specialita compared to a purpose-built single doser like the Niche, or even the Baratza Sette. A couple areas I felt the Mignon fell short:
- Grind changes did not take right away. The 1st and 2nd shot after changing the grind pull at different speeds. But 2nd shot onward is consistent.
- Doses were not as consistent as the Niche. I think most hopper-fed grinders give pretty consistent doses when the grind path is filled and the hopper is full of beans, but not great when you're trying to clear out the grind path every shot. (The Sette being the exception since there is not much grind path to speak of).

I do like the Eureka grinders a lot, and think the Atom and Mignon are both fantastic grinders when used with their hoppers, but I did not have a good experience single-dosing them.

monkeyboy (original poster)

#10: Post by monkeyboy (original poster) »

Uggh - this is frustrating...fun!
Thanks for the suggestions so far....
I have updated my hot list (and budget)
Really been digging the Eureka grinders

Biggest sticking point right now is single dose vs hopper fed.

I really think I will be kicking out the Niche Zero as it is made in China and even though it is the hottest thing right now - I would prefer something with great build quality and easy warrantee/support in later years. Eureka seems to tick that box better.

I started thinking about the Atom 75 but after consideration, think 65mm will be fine for my home use. This is getting out of my price range too.

This brought me to the Mignon ORO XL - looks really solid to me, simple, yet some features I have never had like timed dosing. I like the control panel look and feel.

Then I started thinking about Single Dosing which brought me to the Eureka ORO Single Dose. Seems like there are still some growing pains with this unit, but I like the idea of low retention and grind what you need (as I do 1-2 espresso drinks per day...most I would do is @6 at a time for guests). I only do espresso. Might be nice to offer caffeinated and decaf back to back without any fuss.

Both are about the same price - I'm leaning towards the ORO XL, hopper fed. But more videos to watch!