Looking to buy a dual boiler espresso machine

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
thelampire

#1: Post by thelampire »

Hello Everyone!

I am looking to buy a dual boiler machine like the Profitec Pro 300 or the BDB. What machine would you recommend buying for a budget of 1kUSD? I'm leaning towards the Pro 300, but I cannot really find a used one for sale anywhere. Please recommend me something! (Grinder recommendations are also welcome which matches a dual boiler machine for around 500USD).

Cheers!

meshkaffe

#2: Post by meshkaffe »

I can't imagine you could get your hands on a pro300 for $1k but I could be wrong as I don't know what second hand machines are going for. It is a nice simple, compact machine which is easy to operate and easy to become proficient in as I've only had mine for a month and it's only a matter of dialing in the best dose size, ratio and temp at this point. Perhaps others can chime in about used prices and recommend equipment in that range.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by Milligan »

A good dual boiler will likely be hard to find at $1k. The two you have your eye on are good units with the BDB being easier to find on the used market. The BDB is still a rather niche machine to try to find used locally but if you are up for a drive then who knows. With used I'd keep your options open. It is hard to be extremely specific with machine choice when going used unless you are willing to wait it out or risk shipping a machine from across the country sight unseen (I wouldn't recommend it unless it was from a reputable member here.). Patience is key.

CarreraRSR

#4: Post by CarreraRSR »

Not a lot to add other than that I am very pleased with my modded BDB. Under $1k might be tough...

We have a niche and also a fellow ode. Niche makes it super easy

slybarman

#5: Post by slybarman »

not impossible, but will require some luck and a whole lot of patience. if it's something you want now/soon, then probably not.

boren

#6: Post by boren »

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a dual-boiler machine for this amount, but if your goal is to be able to brew and steam at the same time, a couple (yes, two) of new De'Longhi Dedica machines will cost you $500 (total) and will do the job. Their width is 6" (15 cm) each, so not a setup that takes up a lot of counter space. Add a bottomless portafilter, a self-leveling tamper like the Normcore V4 (51mm) and a grinder like the Baratza Sette 270 and you're within the budget for a surprisingly capable kit. I know, because I have a Dedica (not two, unfortunately), and also much more expensive machines to compare, see my profile.

BTW, did I mention you also get redundancy? If one machine needs service, you can still make coffee, but not brew and steam at the same time. I call it Redundant Array of Independent Espresso Machines ;-)

poison

#7: Post by poison »

This is the closest to you budget that I see right now:

[FS] Nuova Simonelli Oscar II - barely used

But also check coffeeswap on reddit.

thelampire (original poster)

#8: Post by thelampire (original poster) »

I am already having a hard time finding one :) There is a Profitec Pro 300 for a little more than 1k here in NJ. I might wait a little until the price goes down. The BDB+Niche would probably work as well. I don't quite like the looks of the Nuova SImonelli machines in general.
My brother has a machine like the Dedica. It is really loud and doesn't look quality at all.
My original idea was to buy a Rancilio Silvia and put the ITO mod in there. That's not dual boiler, but exceeds the quality of most large machines.
Thank you for the suggestion for the reddit forum. I was not aware that it existed.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! If you happen to find something which you think I'd like I'd appreciate a DM or a post here :) Have a nice weekend!