Looking to purchase a distribution tool...

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jtferraro

#1: Post by jtferraro »

Hi, I'm finally looking to purchase a distribution tool. Lately I've simply been grinding directly into my bottomless PF, from my Atom 75. While the grinds are exiting the grinder, I move the PF around in circles to get as even as a distribution as I can. Then I take the fine end of a chop stick and lightly try my best to distribute the grinds evenly around in the basket. My extractions look decent, but I'm looking to control more variables (already invested in a Acaia Lunar and Eric's thermometer) and I'm thinking an OCD or SAI might be next. Does anybody own both? Alternatively, should I simply start with a cheap Amazon knock-off?

Thank you,
-Jeff

Tzuyu

#2: Post by Tzuyu »

What size portafilter? Here is one made in Italy, https://motta-usa.com/product/motta-835 ... ool-black/

Advertisement
free0177a

#3: Post by free0177a »

I like the Bravo distributor. Its self leveling, instead of having to adjust it manually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orISqscjqxo

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

Might want to also consider a proper implement for homogenizing grinds or just raking. A chopstick is an of magnitude too fat compared to the 0.2-0.4 mm needles currently in favor. In my experience, either a chopstick or a toothpick made things worse.

luvmy40

#5: Post by luvmy40 »

There is a Londinium WDT tool up for sale in the Buy/Sell forum here. They are easy to make though.

I use WDT and a cloverleaf type leveler in lieu of a traditional tamper to great effect.

forbiddenbeat

#6: Post by forbiddenbeat »

I use a Londinium WRT tool, which came with my LR. I've moved on from the LR but purchased another one, since I feel it works very well.

It's unclear to me if the hockey-puck distribution tools do anything to break up and distribute the grind. It seems to me they are more of a pre-leveling tool than a true distribution tool, so I prefer the Londinium method.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by baristainzmking »

I had both the SAI and OCD and sold the OCD. I found the the coffee sticks to OCD and just preferred the fit and finish of the SAI. I like the idea of Bravo, but it's only 58 mm. Another good one to check is the Asso Jack Leveler. I have the SAI and the Jack Leveler and switch between the two. :lol:
Julia

Advertisement
Quester

#8: Post by Quester »

Jeff wrote:Might want to also consider a proper implement for homogenizing grinds or just raking. A chopstick is an of magnitude too fat compared to the 0.2-0.4 mm needles currently in favor. In my experience, either a chopstick or a toothpick made things worse.
I'm with Jeff. My homemade WDT using a 3D printed handle and needles off Amazon is much better than my Londinium tool. Also, there's a difference between a leveler and a WDT tool. Although I own an OCD leveler and also a wedge leveler, I only use them as a last resort if my tap goes off. The 0.4 needles allow you to make a really nice surface that only needs the slightest tap before tamping. No leveling need.

This WDT tool has helped me pull better shots with my MAX and DE1Pro.

jtferraro (original poster)

#9: Post by jtferraro (original poster) »

Tzuyu wrote:What size portafilter? Here is one made in Italy, https://motta-usa.com/product/motta-835 ... ool-black/
58mm (EC 61). This one interests me - thank you!
-Jeff

jtferraro (original poster)

#10: Post by jtferraro (original poster) »

free0177a wrote:I like the Bravo distributor. Its self leveling, instead of having to adjust it manually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orISqscjqxo
Makes a lot of sense, especially if you frequently adjust dose from 17 to 19g or anywhere in between...or more! I'm going to definitely look into this. Thank you
-Jeff