Looking to purchase a distribution tool... - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Quester

#21: Post by Quester »

This is a picture of the coffee bed after using my homemade 0.4 mm WDT tool. After doing this, I tamp. No additional leveling.

It actually looks a bit smoother than in these photos-the shadows are exaggerating things. But they get the idea across.

jtferraro (original poster)

#22: Post by jtferraro (original poster) »

Impressive
-Jeff

#23: Post by jtferraro (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:While I don't completely agree with Scott Rao's puck prep as shown at it does show how a stir then a rake with one of the thin-needle tools can give you a flat-enough bed without any significant amount of uneven compression.
Why is he incorporating an Aeropress filter on top of the PF? What are the advantages? Just trying to understand context.

Thanks,
-Jeff

Jeff
Team HB

#24: Post by Jeff »

The upper filter helps to ensure even wetting of the puck. A lower filter can help reduce the impact of fines migration, as well as filter out fines and some oils.

jgood

#25: Post by jgood »

Here's another home brew model -- works well

#26: Post by jtferraro (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:The upper filter helps to ensure even wetting of the puck. A lower filter can help reduce the impact of fines migration, as well as filter out fines and some oils.
Thanks for explaining. I actually didn't even notice the lower AeroPress filter. Interesting. I can understand and appreciate the lower one reducing oils. Unfortunately, I just tried to see if an APF would fit in my IMS double basket but my basket has a slight taper near the bottom (not as severe as my stock double basket), so it wouldn't nice and flat like the one pictured in the video. Just tried the APF on my triple basket, and while better, the very outside perimeter of the filter still curves up ever so slightly. Oh well, I realize I can always purchase another basket if I wanted to try this. I realize I could certainly add the top APF, but I just replaced the shower screen and I'm really seeing an appreciable difference wrt water being evenly distributed from the grouphead.

I like all this information sharing and experimenting going on here!
-Jeff

#27: Post by jtferraro (original poster) »

jgood wrote:Here's another home brew model -- works well image
Now that looks 'do-able', or DIY worthy!

Thank you
-Jeff

Don Task

#28: Post by Don Task »

Speaking of do-able and DIY worthy... I elected to follow a tip I discovered in another thread here in HB. This is another easy, inexpensive, DIY project for a homemade quality WDT. The tool is hard to beat it. The handle is anodized aluminum and the wires are Stainless Steel... and its only 6 bucks! Heck, knowing how outrageously priced some espresso accessories are, if this was actually being sold as a WDT tool by one or the more famous espresso supply companies... they'd probably be pricing it at $75 to $100!

If you're located in the US just head over to Amazon and pick up a Keycap Puller for Keyboards. When it arrives, just cut off the horizontal section where two wires come together. Then with a pair of needle nose pliers, bend the end of each wire around to form a loop to keep the wires from scratching the bottom of the PF. Last spread and form the wires as you see fit. Bonus: If you're willing to wait a couple weeks for it to arrive from China.... its available in your choice of Colors

And if you're lucky enough to be in the UK, head over to these Amazon links: Keycap Puller for Keyboards.... or in your choice of Colors

Krups, then Silvia, then Livia 90, then a Techno! Does it ever end? [sigh]

IMAWriter

#29: Post by IMAWriter »

I utilize "The Jack." easy to adjust, 10 quick turns, and if I want a 9 bar pour after PI, I tamp 15 pounds. Otherwise, no tamping necessary.It's as good idea to finger level LIGHTLY prior to using the tool. Out of the Sette 270, no WDT necessary until winter.

#30: Post by jtferraro (original poster) »

Don Task wrote:Speaking of do-able and DIY worthy... I elected to follow a tip I discovered in another thread here in HB. This is another easy, inexpensive, DIY project for a homemade quality WDT. The tool is hard to beat it. The handle is anodized aluminum and the wires are Stainless Steel... and its only 6 bucks! Heck, knowing how outrageously priced some espresso accessories are, if this was actually being sold as a WDT tool by one or the more famous espresso supply companies... they'd probably be pricing it at $75 to $100!

Just head over to Amazon and pick up a Keycap Puller for Keyboards. When it arrives, just cut off the horizontal section where two wires come together. Then with a pair of needle nose pliers, bend the end of each wire around to form a loop to keep the wires from scratching the bottom of the PF. Last spread and form the wires as you see fit. Bonus: If you're willing to wait a couple weeks for it to arrive from China.... its available in your choice of Colors

^^just ordered! THANKS, Don Task!! :D
-Jeff