Looking to purchase a distribution tool... - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Jeff
Team HB

#11: Post by Jeff »

I've got the Bravo tamper and the design and machining on it is top notch. Since I haven't used the distributor myself, I can't comment on it much past "Gilberto puts a lot of thought into his products and follows through with his execution." More photos of his work at https://www.flickr.com/photos/148785676@N08/ English isn't his first language, but he has been very clear and professional in all of our email exchanges. It can take a day or two sometimes, but I suspect he's got a real life to attend to.

Tzuyu

#12: Post by Tzuyu »

What the total cost when you purchase directly from him? Did you have to pay any custom duty? Plan on purchase the tamper, seem like WLL is out of stock.

jtferraro (original poster)

#13: Post by jtferraro (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:Might want to also consider a proper implement for homogenizing grinds or just raking. A chopstick is an of magnitude too fat compared to the 0.2-0.4 mm needles currently in favor. In my experience, either a chopstick or a toothpick made things worse.
It's a rather thin chopstick, but you're right...it's still a chopstick, not a needle. Thank you
-Jeff

#14: Post by jtferraro (original poster) »

luvmy40 wrote:There is a Londinium WDT tool up for sale in the Buy/Sell forum here. They are easy to make though.

I use WDT and a cloverleaf type leveler in lieu of a traditional tamper to great effect.
These traditional WDT tools evenly distribute the grounds, but don't necessarily level them, correct? I suppose, considering they're evenly distributed, they're likely relatively level, but I'd imagine these more recent leveling distribution tools probably do a better job at the leveling. Perhaps I need both!? ;-) Maybe I'll look into making a WDT.

Thank you
-Jeff

#15: Post by jtferraro (original poster) »

forbiddenbeat wrote:I use a Londinium WRT tool, which came with my LR. I've moved on from the LR but purchased another one, since I feel it works very well.

It's unclear to me if the hockey-puck distribution tools do anything to break up and distribute the grind. It seems to me they are more of a pre-leveling tool than a true distribution tool, so I prefer the Londinium method.
Yes, this what I'm thinking, and is exactly how I just replied to the previous post, commenting on how maybe I need both!?
-Jeff

free0177a

#16: Post by free0177a »

Tzuyu wrote:What the total cost when you purchase directly from him? Did you have to pay any custom duty? Plan on purchase the tamper, seem like WLL is out of stock.
WLL is his US distributor. He refers to them when contacted, I suspect he may have a non compete clause (giving WLL rights as compared.to prior direct transactions).

#17: Post by jtferraro (original poster) »

Quester wrote:I'm with Jeff. My homemade WDT using a 3D printed handle and needles off Amazon is much better than my Londinium tool. Also, there's a difference between a leveler and a WDT tool. Although I own an OCD leveler and also a wedge leveler, I only use them as a last resort if my tap goes off. The 0.4 needles allow you to make a really nice surface that only needs the slightest tap before tamping. No leveling need.

This WDT tool has helped me pull better shots with my MAX and DE1Pro.

Sold! I need one of those...and possibly one of the more recent 'leveling distribution tools'.
-Jeff

#18: Post by jtferraro (original poster) »

free0177a wrote:WLL is his US distributor. He refers to them when contacted, I suspect he may have a non compete clause (giving WLL rights as compared.to prior direct transactions).
Darn, as WLL is also out of the 58mm distributor!
-Jeff

Jeff
Team HB

#19: Post by Jeff »

While I don't completely agree with Scott Rao's puck prep as shown at it does show how a stir then a rake with one of the thin-needle tools can give you a flat-enough bed without any significant amount of uneven compression.

free0177a

#20: Post by free0177a »

jtferraro wrote:Darn, as WLL is also out of the 58mm distributor!
You could still always contact him. I certainly do not know details - just that when i contacted him it was heavily biased towards "you need to talk.to WLL" compare to prior purchasees.