Looking to buy classic German hand grinder for pourover

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Daymat

#1: Post by Daymat »

Good day to you all . This is my first post to this forum .

I am looking to buy a classic German hand grinder as a temporary upgrade to my Porlex whilst I wait for my Arco 2 in 1 so hoping for advice from collectors

I have been fascinated with the development of hand grinders as a result of this forum and would like to know if there is a consensus on the best German burr design specifically for pour over .

I understand in general that ;
o 6 star burrs with Mokka as a label provide a grind size more likely to be suitable for espresso
o Can I assume that a 5 star without the mokka label is likely to produce a more consistent grind size for pour over?

I have modded my Porlex but the grind size consistency is almost non existent so feel buying an old German grinder likes a Dienes is worth the gamble

Thanks !

Daymat (original poster)

#2: Post by Daymat (original poster) »

Update:

I did my research ( thank you peacecup ) on the best German grinder to buy whilst I await my Arco .

My new grinder arrived yesterday from Germany , and I'm in love

Dienes 300 c 1950's ( 6 star burr )
Drink 1
45 s on finest grind for 18g
Gentle WDT for an even 30 g extraction on my Classic delivery a very unctuous espresso
Drink 2
Middle setting for a 3 min pour over - so few fines and boulders created such a balanced brew

I know I have only an entry level Porlex to compare with , but I am more than happy with this grinder, and I can see why these grinders are so loved . Next step is to see if I have a standard 6 star or a mokka 6 star ( denoted by slightly different flutes I believe)

Lastly here are a few pics

Wishing everyone a happy weekend

jbviau
Supporter ★

#3: Post by jbviau »

Nice! I'd like to add one of these to my collection as well eventually--maybe a Peugeot. So I take it going back and forth between settings is no big deal with your Dienes?
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Daymat (original poster)

#4: Post by Daymat (original poster) »

The transition was far easier than I expected ! The adjuster is stepless .. espresso setting I used was pretty much at zero with burrs slightly touching , and then the 3 min pourover setting was exactly 3/4 of a turn of the adjuster

Of course there is zero retention so you could easily just use the one grinder for both - however I've just now bought another Dienes for £14 Uk pounds which requires a bit of TLC - I can then decide which model suits which style of coffee the best !

peacecup

#5: Post by peacecup »

Yep, still lovin' my Dienes 15+ years later! Grind on!
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

Daymat (original poster)

#6: Post by Daymat (original poster) »

Update

In cycling there exists the concept of N+1 = Divorce when collecting bikes ( one for each occasion you see )

I have now begun to apply the same principle for grinders whilst I wait for my Arco !

I think I may be at N with my grinders

I have just managed to source one more German hand grinder , a Dienes 508 in Cherry Wood from the early 1950

I was intrigued why someone in the UK owned such a grinder - it was bought 15 years go in a German flea market .

Each of the 3 grinders are now dedicated to each of my 3 brew methods , they are a joy to use ( razor sharp cast burrs )and are producing very consistent grinds

I've just been reading about the Clever ....... mmm