Looking for a "slim" espresso machine

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
chomergir

#1: Post by chomergir » Jan 15, 2020, 1:58 am

I have Cimbali Junior from the early 90' which I love(!!) but I'm moving to a new apartment and look for a much smaller machine which I'll place on the counter.

My considerations:
1. Main use: espresso and cappuccino
2. Prefer E61 head
3. No need for hot water outlet
4. As slim as possible

The ones that come to mind is Lelit Mara 62 delux and ACS Minima.
1. Any thoughts about those two?
2. Any other contenders?
3. Are there smaller prosumer machines?

Wigglesworth2.0

#2: Post by Wigglesworth2.0 » Jan 15, 2020, 4:43 am

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim » Jan 15, 2020, 11:39 am

The Domobar Junior comes in at 9" wide. It may be the E61 box that takes the cake on slim. No reviews on this machine; but Vibiemme is the oldest manufacturer of E61 home machines. Once you get up to 11" to 12", you have lots of choices.
Jim Schulman

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by baristainzmking » Jan 15, 2020, 11:48 am

I would definitely go with ACS Minima.
Julia

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#5: Post by RapidCoffee » Jan 15, 2020, 1:23 pm

The Decent Espresso DE1 is 9" wide. Amazing little machine, but not an E61 GH (and a good bit pricier than the models mentioned above).
John

pcrussell50

#6: Post by pcrussell50 » Jan 15, 2020, 2:09 pm

chomergir wrote: My considerations:
1. Main use: espresso and cappuccino
2. Prefer E61 head
3. No need for hot water outlet
4. As slim as possible
There was a tiiiny little e61 guy talked about right here on HB not so long ago. Not sure if it was available at the time, or now, for that matter. It was much smaller than the ones named so far. And IIRC it did not have a tea water tap, or even its own reservoir. It drew water out of an external reservoir. Super compact and cool looking IIRC.

Wish I could find that thread and look at the picture of it again.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

chipman

#7: Post by chipman » Jan 15, 2020, 2:14 pm

thoang77

#8: Post by thoang77 » Jan 15, 2020, 2:55 pm

pcrussell50 wrote:There was a tiiiny little e61 guy talked about right here on HB not so long ago. Not sure if it was available at the time, or now, for that matter. It was much smaller than the ones named so far. And IIRC it did not have a tea water tap, or even its own reservoir. It drew water out of an external reservoir. Super compact and cool looking IIRC.

Wish I could find that thread and look at the picture of it again.

-Peter
The ECM Puristika? Only downside for OP is it's a dedicated shot puller (with flow control). No steam wand

pcrussell50

#9: Post by pcrussell50 » replying to thoang77 » Jan 15, 2020, 3:05 pm

That's the one. I rarely ever make milk drinks anyway. And I have a DB DPID hot rod flow control machine as well. The puristika would be a fun extra toy for me who likes to collect coffee gear.

Thanks for finding it again.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

MntnMan62

#10: Post by MntnMan62 » Jan 16, 2020, 1:02 am

When I was first thinking of getting an espresso machine I went down to 1st-Line Equipment and spent some decent time getting the run down on the various options available to me. My issue was also counter space. It needed to be as narrow as possible. I settled on the Lelit Mara at their suggestion. I never pulled the trigger because I had other pressing financial obligations that took priority. But if I were to recommend anything it would be the Mara. A gorgeous machine and from what I hear online, very well made. Good luck in your search.