Looking for single dose grinder, available now, budget $800 max

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
blutch

#1: Post by blutch »

I pre-ordered the Turrin DF64 on a great deal a couple months ago. It was a great deal. $400 for a high quality single-dose grinder. I inquired today and they said it will be delayed and they haven't even "shipped it" meaning they are literally looking for space on a ship to bring the grinders to the US.

Meanwhile, I got my new (first) espresso machine - a Crem ONE Infuser - and I'm trying to dial in a grind on my basic Baratza Virtuoso which I also use for pour overs. Consistency is, of course, a big issue, but I thought I could get by until the DF64 arrived. It's going "OK" but I know it will be much much better with the right grinder.

I really don't want to wait any longer, so now I'm on the hunt for an appropriate grinder. While I don't expect to find similar quality for $400, I can't spend $1500 PLUS on my grinder. The deal on the grinder enabled me to spend more than I thought I should on the machine. So, here are my requirements..

• New (can't every find anything decent on various used platforms)
• Available right away
• Budget - $800 MAX.
• Single Dose - I am setup with test tubes and really prefer this work flow.
• Zero to low retention. This was a feature on the DF64 I liked.. it came with bellows.
• No manual grinders. I have arthritis and just can't do it.

I'm ready to get this going! PS - I'd love to get a Niche Zero and would spring for it, if I could get one quickly. Apparently, that's not possible.

makspyat

#2: Post by makspyat »

1. If you can wait for Mignon SD, this might be the best grinder in your price range.

2. If you are tired of waiting, then consider getting Mignon XL from espressocoffeeshop.com

3. As the last resort, look at Ceado E5P, or E6P. It could be modified for single dosing.
I also got tired of waiting a couple of months ago and got Ceado E5SD. It turned to be a good grinder, but it is overpriced for what it is. Other people have successfully modded their E5P/E6P, and got very similar results (with the exception of E5SD having slightly smaller grinding chamber which gives it slight edge over the in-house solution). So there is always this path.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emzBkGLrMUA

blutch (original poster)

#3: Post by blutch (original poster) »

I spent a lot of time looking at SD grinders today, and it is pretty obvious to me, I'm not going to get anything of better quality than the DF64 for $800. Maybe the best thing to do at this point is to keep the Turin on order and get a Sette 270 (Maybe a WI?) to hold me over. I can repurpose the 270 for pour overs in my office after the summer. The only thing is, I can't stand the look of this thing, but the price and capability works in my situation.

Thoughts?

B

Westchester

#4: Post by Westchester »

You can definitely do that, but if you really only need something short term, I'd recommend the Eureka Mignon Specialita, from the same source as mentioned above. It's $200+ cheaper than the Eureka XL and still a great grinder. And if you are worried about buying from overseas and warranty concerns (fair points, but mine came in three days from Italy to New York), some of the other Eureka grinders should hold you over.

Auctor

#5: Post by Auctor »

I think you're better off trying to find a really strong hand grinder for <$500. I used the HG-1 for over seven months and I was able to make some fantastic espresso. Afterward, you'll have a great hand grinder for travel purposes.

I'm not the right guy to ask about your options, but there are many threads that discuss this topic.

Edit: sorry, did not see your comment on "no" to hand grinders. :-(

walr00s
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by walr00s »

I single-dose with my hyper-aligned vario. Measuring less than .1g retention with no puffer. Almost never requires WDT unless I'm doing some light roasted decaf.

blutch (original poster)

#7: Post by blutch (original poster) replying to walr00s »

I have no idea what "hyper aligned" is. Is that something I can do myself? Is the Vario conical? I guess I could find all the answers to these questions by searching, but I like hearing it from y'all. :)

B

blutch (original poster)

#8: Post by blutch (original poster) »

Westchester wrote:You can definitely do that, but if you really only need something short term, I'd recommend the Eureka Mignon Specialita, from the same source as mentioned above. It's $200+ cheaper than the Eureka XL and still a great grinder. And if you are worried about buying from overseas and warranty concerns (fair points, but mine came in three days from Italy to New York), some of the other Eureka grinders should hold you over.
Why from that source and not one of the US vendors? I looked at it, but realized it was in the UK and didn't go any further.

B

Brien

#9: Post by Brien »

With a bit of patience and luck you could score a Niche, they just restocked last week for example.

Not many SD electrics readily available sub-1k currently, due to pandemic.

blutch (original poster)

#10: Post by blutch (original poster) replying to Brien »

I was just there today. Even the July shipment is out of stock. That means maybe I could get one in August. I should have the DF64 long before then. I HOPE!