Looking for a quieter espresso machine

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
dawoodfall

#1: Post by dawoodfall »

Hi all

I currently have a Delonghi Caffe Treviso, which is fine except for one thing: it sounds like a road drill when you turn the motor on. Very loud. For this reason I can't use it at night for fear of waking the neighbours.

My first machine didn't have a motor at all I think. But that was taken by ex to her Uni and left there some years back, so I don't know what make/model it was.

So I'm looking around for something quiet that I can buy in the UK. The only other conditions apart from the noise are that it shouldn't use pods and that it isn't too dear (<£100 ish).

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Cheers

finntexn

#2: Post by finntexn »

Have you considered one of this guys? I think you won't find anything as quiet as one of this contraptions.

http://www.handpresso.co.uk/products/ha ... ybrid.aspx

Cheers!!! 8)

dawoodfall (original poster)

#3: Post by dawoodfall (original poster) »

Thanks. Not really for a portable but I could see it would be useful. Also I want one that doesn't use pods. I like to choose ground coffee myself.

finntexn

#4: Post by finntexn »

I hear ya!! I cannot stand coffee pods either., it also works with ground coffee tho.
I think the only other thing that might give you a good shot without the noise would be a lever machine, I don't really trust the machines that brew with steam power(at least not in that price range), I had a delonghi some years ago,it was some sort of a combo. drip coffee, espresso and a fancy milk frothing system.
The worst espresso I've ever had came out of that thing, I kept it around just because of the drip coffee maker which wasn't that bad.
My sister has the darned thing now, she seems to like it :? .

Sure hope you find what you're looking for!

pacificmanitou

#5: Post by pacificmanitou »

A lever will be as quiet as you want it to be, since there is no pump at all, however delonghi machines use a cheap vibe pump that is extremely loud. Anything in your range with a pump will also use a vibe pump, and will be loud. Higher end prosumer and commercial machines use a rotary pump that is considerably quieter, but these are MUCH more expensive. I have seen old levers sell for 80-100 euro before, and I've bought a few. They are, however, in sort of rough shape at that price. Once they're cleaned up and have a couple new parts in them they usually make a great cup. The only question is, what are you grinding with? You're going to need something that can keep up if you go this route
LMWDP #366

#6: Post by dawoodfall (original poster) »

How do you feel about machines that just use steam pressure? I'm pretty sure my old was one of these and it didn't make bad coffee considering.

I may have a look at a used lever. At the moment I buy ground coffee rather than grind myself.

pacificmanitou

#7: Post by pacificmanitou »

dawoodfall wrote:How do feel about machines that just use steam pressure? I'm pretty sure my old was one of these and it didn't make bad coffee considering.

I may have a look at a used lever. At the moment I buy ground coffee rather than grind myself.
I hope you're not drinking the coffee the comes out of these on its own. So very bitter. These can make a passable milk drink, but they do not actually make espresso, and they kill the coffee flavors. (The newbie guide has some info on this) my caravel was 89 euro, needed a great amount of work to function but it now makes espresso as it should. The lever had stripped out so i had to cut it down and re-cut the male end. I've also bought la peppinas at that price that worked once seals were replaced and they were given a very, very thorough cleaning. I would say look for a lever. Ask questions. I, and others here, would be happy to educate you. You will need a grinder if you go that route, but if you don't mind hand grinding you could get what you need at a decent price. You're fortunate to be in Europe where all the equipment is, so shipping won't be high to get it to you like it is for us in the states. :D
LMWDP #366

#8: Post by dawoodfall (original poster) »

Thanks. I will keep an eye for a used lever then.

pacificmanitou

#9: Post by pacificmanitou »

What is your top dollar budget? I'd be happy to look for you.
LMWDP #366

#10: Post by dawoodfall (original poster) »

I'm really looking for something < £100 and available to buy in the UK.