Looking for input if my decision making process on espresso machine choice is sound - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
ShotClock
Supporter ♡
Posts: 434
Joined: 3 years ago

#31: Post by ShotClock »

I would recommend the Lagom over a cheaper grinder if you can afford it - precision machining of the burr carriers is an extremely important factor here. If the grinder alignment is off, you will never achieve the output that the burrs are capable of. This is why we pay obscene amounts for Monoliths and EG1s. I understand that the SSP MPs are a very high clarity burr, good for very light roasted espresso and pour over. Just checking their website the new Mizen ES burr looks like it will be nice for medium to light espresso.
★ Helpful

LucaFg
Posts: 95
Joined: 4 months ago

#32: Post by LucaFg »

Hello, I live in Northern Italy too! :-)
Home barista since 2008! Moka pot -> Brikka -> Saeco machine -> Gaggia machine -> Pavoni lever machine.
Lately I bought A Decent De1 Pro + Niche Zero, and I'm the most happy, satisfied, realized man in the world! :-)
I'm a physics doctor; Decent is like an interferometer for measuring contraction lenght of gravitational waves, while other machines are just taylor's tape measure! I hope the metaphor gives you the idea! Decent is like a scientific tool (well, almost) for coffee! You cannot imagine how much fun is experimenting with parameters, graphs, profiles, etc. You become master of coffee in a few time, because you quickly learn to master every step and parameter of extraction. You really start to understand coffee extraction in every detail. Wonderful!
I know, italian machines like Gaggia, Pavoni, Lelit, La Marzocco, etc are the glorious tradition of espresso; but Decent is beyond, is the future, is the technological evolution of coffee; it is unavoidable. Not by chance Marzocco and Lelit are implementing PID and electronics in their machines. However Decent is beyond. You can brew coffee with almost no limitations, high repeatability, great accuracy (if you use the stepless single dose zero retention grinder). And also make great cappuccino: you can also profile milk steam!! Incredible!
Don't esitate and enter the Decent club!
If you have something to ask, I'm here!
W l'epresso italiano! But.. dear italian fellows, learn also to meet tradition and innovation...
;-)

User avatar
Jeff
Team HB
Posts: 6880
Joined: 19 years ago

#33: Post by Jeff »

What coffees and roasters are you enjoying now? What do you enjoy in an espresso?

Burr choices are very dependent on those personal preferences. Burrs I enjoy with very light coffees can be relatively poor for someone that enjoys traditional, Italian espresso.


Check to see if Option-O has a discount on the 64 ES burrs for P64 owners. If so, buying the P64 with a "different" burr and buying discounted 64 ES may be an interesting option. You could break them both in, try them each for a while over different coffees and, if not excited about both, sell one for close to what the 64 ES set cost you.

ffiorentino (original poster)
Posts: 15
Joined: 4 months ago

#34: Post by ffiorentino (original poster) »

LucaFg wrote:Hello, I live in Northern Italy too! :-)
Home barista since 2008! Moka pot -> Brikka -> Saeco machine -> Gaggia machine -> Pavoni lever machine.
Lately I bought A Decent De1 Pro + Niche Zero, and I'm the most happy, satisfied, realized man in the world! :-)
I'm a physics doctor; Decent is like an interferometer for measuring contraction lenght of gravitational waves, while other machines are just taylor's tape measure! I hope the metaphor gives you the idea! Decent is like a scientific tool (well, almost) for coffee! You cannot imagine how much fun is experimenting with parameters, graphs, profiles, etc. You become master of coffee in a few time, because you quickly learn to master every step and parameter of extraction. You really start to understand coffee extraction in every detail. Wonderful!
I know, italian machines like Gaggia, Pavoni, Lelit, La Marzocco, etc are the glorious tradition of espresso; but Decent is beyond, is the future, is the technological evolution of coffee; it is unavoidable. Not by chance Marzocco and Lelit are implementing PID and electronics in their machines. However Decent is beyond. You can brew coffee with almost no limitations, high repeatability, great accuracy (if you use the stepless single dose zero retention grinder). And also make great cappuccino: you can also profile milk steam!! Incredible!
Don't esitate and enter the Decent club!
If you have something to ask, I'm here!
W l'epresso italiano! But.. dear italian fellows, learn also to meet tradition and innovation...
;-)
Hello LucaFg. Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I know this will be a fun journey. It is a tough decision with the machine since I woul click to have an Italian machine on my counter but the best ones are quite expensive. My aim is to learn, make mistakes, and get better.

What area do you live in? I am the Piemonte region and live in Saluzzo.

ffiorentino (original poster)
Posts: 15
Joined: 4 months ago

#35: Post by ffiorentino (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:What coffees and roasters are you enjoying now? What do you enjoy in an espresso?

Burr choices are very dependent on those personal preferences. Burrs I enjoy with very light coffees can be relatively poor for someone that enjoys traditional, Italian espresso.


Check to see if Option-O has a discount on the 64 ES burrs for P64 owners. If so, buying the P64 with a "different" burr and buying discounted 64 ES may be an interesting option. You could break them both in, try them each for a while over different coffees and, if not excited about both, sell one for close to what the 64 ES set cost you.
I get my coffee from small artiginal roasters within driving distance of my home but still searching for new ones to try (I recently moved to a new city). I almost always drink my espresso normale with the occasional milk drink. I am not a big fan of dark roasts and tend to gravitate to medium roast and prefer all arabica beans. Bitterness is not my favorite so I try and control the crema. I like the mouth feeling of milk chocolate but not too thick. Sweet and balanced is what I aim for.

LucaFg
Posts: 95
Joined: 4 months ago

#36: Post by LucaFg »

Oh, we are very close... but I prefer to stay anonimo! :-)
Have you visited the Lavazza museum and the Factory 1895? ;-)

User avatar
Jeff
Team HB
Posts: 6880
Joined: 19 years ago

#37: Post by Jeff »

Based on your description, I'd go with 64 HU or 64 ES (Mizen). The current 64 OM Mizen (now a "dull" finish) would be, I think, an interesting contrast. I think the 64 MP or the older Mizen ("Moonstone", shiny) may reveal more of the bitterness and less of the creaminess than you're looking for.

When reading about burrs, the 64 mm ones are named differently than the 98 mm ones. For example, 64 HU and 98 HU are very different in the cup.

Ben Z.
Posts: 431
Joined: 17 years ago

#38: Post by Ben Z. »

LucaFg wrote:Oh, we are very close... but I prefer to stay anonimo! :-)
Understandable. Recommending a non-Italian espresso machine is probably grounds for revoking your citizenship!

ffiorentino (original poster)
Posts: 15
Joined: 4 months ago

#39: Post by ffiorentino (original poster) »

I understand :)

I have been to Lavazza but not Factory 1895 (I know where it is located)

LucaFg
Posts: 95
Joined: 4 months ago

#40: Post by LucaFg »

Ben Z. wrote:Understandable. Recommending a non-Italian espresso machine is probably grounds for revoking your citizenship!
:D
I'm waiting for an italian Decent-like machine! As you know, Gaggiuino is something similar, but you have to build it on your own! Lelit and Marzocco are trying something similar, but not enough yet.
I hope to see an italian Decent in the next years! :-)
My previous machines were italian: Saeco, Gaggia, Pavoni.
PS: for sure the OP understood my clues... :-)