Looking for a good quality single basket

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
linuxAndJavaScript

#1: Post by linuxAndJavaScript »

I want to get into single shots more. Can anyone recommend a good basket for single shots? I believe it needs to be 7 grams, correct? This is to fit a Silvia portafilter. I see VST has a 7 gram one. Would that be the best?

Almico

#2: Post by Almico »

Moka 1 Cup

#3: Post by Moka 1 Cup replying to Almico »

I should receive mine today. I'll post my impression after I try it this evening.
BTW shipping and handling is quite slow :D
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

linuxAndJavaScript (original poster)

#4: Post by linuxAndJavaScript (original poster) »

Is the La Marzocco one better than the VST? I noticed the 7 gram VST doesn't have the typical single basket smaller hole in the middle design. I thought that might make it easier to tamper and pull shots.

Almico

#5: Post by Almico »

Best if used with this: https://www.tidaka.net/de/trichter/boar ... r-lm1.html

and a 41mm tamper.

Phaedrus

#6: Post by Phaedrus »

I started a similar thread a few weeks back and the result was a nice kit from Tidaka that came with the single shot basket, funnel and tamper. Only problem, I don't understand German. Any German speakers care to start a group buy? Or, for those of you that have ordered Tidaka products, how did you do so?

Moka 1 Cup

#7: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

So, I received the La Marzotto 7g basket and I began playing with it right away. I made five or six shots before getting the right grind size, and to find a good enough way to load the coffee and tamp it. Using the funnel provided with the Aeropress helped a little bit, but of course it was not ideal. The last two shots were OK but at this point I am going to wait until I receive the Tidaka Set Integrale.

Phaedrus wrote:........ Or, for those of you that have ordered Tidaka products, how did you do so?
I ordered it yesterday night. I don't speak German but I used Google translate. I read the descriptions and reviews and at the end I think (I hope) I figured it out.

If you go to the page of the Set Integrale the first option you have to chose is the height of the funnel, S=6mm, M=15mm or L=30mm. Keep in mind that the only thing that changes is the height, nothing to do with the diameter. There is a video online that shows the difference between the three sizes. I decided for the medium size.

The second option you have to chose is the size of the tamper. One base of the tamper is 41 mm for both models. The other base can be either 58mm or, if you chose the Plus, 58.6mm. I chose the standard 41/58.

Once you have chosen your options, you will see a gray button at the lower left of the screen. That is the 'add to chart' button.

When you go to the chart do not bother with checking the shipping cost by setting the country of destination. It did not work for me and the total price was still including the VAT. But once you go ahead, and after you fill your information, address and son on, the price is adjusted by taking the VAT off and by adding the shipping cost and a small 'Paypal fee' . Then you pay (I used PayPal) and place the order.

This morning I already had an email with the tracking number in my inbox. Shipping is by DHL.

Total price in Euro was 83.23. Total price I paid in USD, as reported by Paypal, was $94.23.

You can also buy just the funnel and the tamper, without the basket, but I decided to buy the set even if I already have the La Marzocco basket because the difference in price was not a lot. But if you order the funnel separately you can select the polished finish. That option was not available when ordering the set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DRouhbMQqE

https://www.tidaka.net/de/tamper/set-an ... grale.html

Moka 1 Cup

#8: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

The Tidaka Kit is pricey but the main issue is the looooong delivery time. Ordered on the 15th, it left Germany of the 21nd (I think), and I has ben sitting in NJ since.
Getting tired of drinking double shots :lol: .

Brother_Bluto

#9: Post by Brother_Bluto »

Been happy with my DecentEspresso baskets. I use their larger baskets for doubles, but they have a 7gr, a 10gr or a 15gr depending on what you are looking for in terms of a "single".