Looking for "end game" espresso machine

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
joiglan

#1: Post by joiglan »

Hey everyone.

Seriously considering my 'end game' espresso machine for home to have long term. What are users thoughts and experiences with their La Marzocco GS3 MP's? Reliabilty? Overall experience of use and ownership?

Open to other considerations.

Many thanks to all! :D

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by JB90068 »

You might want to add a Slayer to the list.

My next upgrade will likely be the Nurri Leva.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

Jake_G
Team HB

#3: Post by Jake_G »

joiglan wrote:Seriously considering my 'end game' espresso machine to have long term.
Many would consider your HX fed VA Athena Lever to be "End Game"...

What is it you are looking to change? Or have you moved away from the Athena?
LMWDP #704

joiglan (original poster)

#4: Post by joiglan (original poster) replying to Jake_G »

Ah, that is in a commercial setting. This is for home - I should have noted that. I see you have a GS3 (AV) - how have you found the reliability?

Jake_G
Team HB

#5: Post by Jake_G »

My GS/3 AV was built in 2007 (they were released in 2008) and has served me admirably since I took ownership nearly 4 years ago. They have come a long way since mine was made.

I completely disassembled mine and changed all the seals, partly for fun, and partly because it was an unknown since the machine was 12 years old when I got it.

If you search my topics you can find documentation of all the fun things I found along the way. As I mentioned, they've come a long way since 2007.

What are your goals for espresso at home?

"End Game" is really in the eye of barista...

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

#6: Post by joiglan (original poster) replying to Jake_G »

Thanks for the reply, Jake! I suppose 'end game' in the sense planning not to upgrade or swap out to another machine, a companion for many years to come. La Marzocco's build appeals in this long term sense and the machine is very flexible, with features and capability hopefully negating the need or want to upgrade.

It's good to hear you've had success with yours. If you were to purchase again, would you go GS3?

BaristaBoy E61

#7: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

joiglan wrote:I suppose 'end game' in the sense planning not to upgrade or swap out to another machine, a companion for many years to come.
Then why not a KvdW Speedster Idro-Matic?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

#8: Post by joiglan (original poster) »

It's nice stuff, I don't love the looks, although I know many do. Serviceability and part availability are quite well up my checklist, especially at this kind of money. :D