Looking for a Dual Boiler Espresso Machine with a tank...

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
emperorma

#1: Post by emperorma »

Long-time lurker who is finally going to take the plunge.

I want a dual boiler home machine...but it cannot be plumbed in. Volume will mostly be low (15-20 shots per day...half of these used for lattes), with an occasional trip to small parties where volume will be a bit higher. Ease of use is a high priority, and temperature stability is of the utmost concern.

My budget for the machine is <$2,000. Is the Brewtus II the only choice out there?

This machine will be paired with a LaCimbali Jr. grinder. Thanks for your help.

cappadoc

#2: Post by cappadoc »

The only options that come to mind are the Brewtus II or, perhaps, consider the La Spaziale S1 with a flojet pump into a 5 gallon water jug. That is my current setup and it is a dream! I have no experience with the Brewtus, so I'm not being negative about it. I love the silence of the rotary pump. I need to add an accumulator tank to lessen the work on the flojet, but the total cost for the pump and tank is <$200 at espresso parts NW.

Jeff

Advertisement
HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

cappadoc wrote:I need to add an accumulator tank to lessen the work on the flojet, but the total cost for the pump and tank is <$200 at espresso parts NW.
Does the S1 really need a FloJet, i.e., would a check valve suffice? The Procon pump certainly doesn't need positive pressure (IIRC, it's spec'd at six foot vertical lift).

Ball-type check valve assures water flows only one direction
Dan Kehn

emperorma (original poster)

#4: Post by emperorma (original poster) »

I'd love to do that with the La Spaziale...but I really am not able to do a plumb-in or a pump/bottle configuration. Pourover is my only option due to portability concerns.

Will Chris have his new Andreja/Dual Boiler (for lack of an "official" name) project ready to roll by February? If not, it looks like Brewtus II...

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

The S1 comes in a pourover version called the Rossini, though I don't believe Chris' Coffee carries them in stock. For loads of knowledgeable opinions on the S1, I recommend Chas Rimpo's S1 forum.

Abe's writeup of the original Brewtus really covers it well. The Brewtus II adds nicer steam arms, easier access to the brew pressure adjustment, and I understand its pump is quieter. Of course the Brewtus discussion group and the Brewtus Group file repository are veritable treasure troves of information.

As for Chris' dual boiler project, well, you would have to ask him. :?
Dan Kehn

#6: Post by emperorma (original poster) »

Wow! A La Spaziale S1 in pourover would be perfect for my needs. About $1,700 or so would seem appropriate, no? Have you heard if Chris brings these things in?

Dogshot

#7: Post by Dogshot »

The La Spaz pourover is called the Rossini, and IIRC, it has a vibe pump, and no steam pressure gauge. It does have the same size brew boiler as the Vivaldi (.45l), but I don't know about the size of the steam boiler; the Rossini is also a fair bit less expensive.

I just got a Brewtus II, and it is an incredible machine. The pump is not as loud as that on my Gaggia Classic, and I am finding the built in brew pressure gauge to be a real educational tool (neither La Spaz units have a built-in brew pressure gauge). The brew pressure adjustment screw is located behind the drip tray, so there is no necessity to open the machine to change brew pressure.

There's not a lot of choice in consumer DB's right now, but I bet it will be a different story in a year or two. Temp surfing an HX unit seems like it's quickly becoming a vestigial skill.

Advertisement

#8: Post by emperorma (original poster) »

Dogshot wrote:There's not a lot of choice in consumer DB's right now, but I bet it will be a different story in a year or two. Temp surfing an HX unit seems like it's quickly becoming a vestigial skill.
Yep, Dogshot, I believe you're right. When a man has my limited barista skills, surfing is best done on a beach with tasty waves... ;-)

I may have to go with the Brewtus II if Chris can't bring in the new unit soon. But I'd like to give him the chance...the Andreja Premium with a dual boiler is my dream machine. But the La Spaz pourover does indeed pique my interest. I'll have to investigate further.

topcat5

#9: Post by topcat5 »

I have the Brewtus II and I am quite happy with it. Given the requirements that you have put forth here the Brewtus should more than meet your needs. I have to agree with the brew pressure gauge. I use it to determine if I have gotten down a good distribution and tamp in my portafilter. The machine also works very well with a 15A circuit. When I decided to get this machine, I decided that I wasn't going to wait for a machine that was promised back in June, and has yet to show up.

halocoffee

#10: Post by halocoffee »

zin1953 wrote: I'm in the same boat as you -- I want to upgrade to a double boiler machine, and unless we fully remodel the kitchen, a plumbed-in, 20 amp machine isn't an option. (Neither is a flo-jet/5-gallon water bottle in the middle of my kitchen floor!) So it's a Brewtus II . . . unless I feel like being a pioneer and going for the Della Corte.
If I were either of you I would look for a way to make an S1 work. It is simply a fantastic machine. Extremely quiet, monstrously powerful steam, accurate temperature control. I've had a Silvia, a Livia, an Astra and a Reneka Techno, and the S1 is my favorite of all those machines. It seems like all the other ones had significant shortcomings of one sort or another, but the S1's shortcomings are truly miniscule.

One great thing about it is that you can plumb in the water supply, but you can use the drip tray in a non-plumbed-in fashion, so you won't have to plumb in the drain. Get creative! All you have to do is get water to the machine, and you will have the best prosumer machine on the market.