Looking for a better coffee solution

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jeanac

#1: Post by jeanac »

Hi,
Could you please help me find a better coffee machine for my personal taste?
I like "Italian" coffee or what is called espresso Lungo. I am not a fan of the filtered coffee nor the normal espresso, Sorry ;-(

I bought a Jura A1, 2 years ago and I always used its "coffee" option, not the Espresso nor Ristretto. I do not use Milk.
I have tried all kinds of coffee beans and for some reason the result is more on the watery side.
I do prefer its taste to the filtered coffee or espresso, but I was hoping for a richer, less watery result.
Only if this machine allows me to slow down the water flow rate I guess.
I love that it is Super Automatic machine, easy to use, grinder integrated... but the taste is missing something.

I have been told, for the taste that I am looking for, I need a manual machine like "Rancilio Silvia" + a very Good grinder.
this is another $1,500 investment, at least. Do I need to invest that much? will the taste be that different?
Or maybe the Breville machines are good enough for me?
For example, "the Bambino™ Plus" because it is smaller and cheaper or maybe the "Barista Express" that have a grinder integrated for $700.
I understand that I will be losing on a real espresso experience with these machines but Since I only like the Lungo taste will this matter?

Thank you for your help and for your time.

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

If that's the style of coffee you like, you might consider the AeroPress, a temperature controlled gooseneck kettle, and a grinder similar to a Baratza Encore. You will get more volume and the brew will be as rich as you choose to dose it. You will have precise temperature control, little maintenance, and the exact type of coffee you describe. You will also save a lot of money! I have and use many espresso machines but use my AeroPress for the equivalent of a rich lungo.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

Welcome to H-B!

Edit: Dr. Gary's idea is a great one!

I'd start by reading and watching How to choose an espresso machine and grinder at the "right" price

Whether you are looking for a classic-sized espresso, a true lungo, or an americano, the quality of the beans, grinder, machine, and water will be important.

Many here find the coffee from superautomats and all-in-ones somewhere between uninspired and best with a lot of cream and sugar.

There are some reasonable options in pump-driven (as opposed to lever) machines starting around US$600. There are also some great manual lever machines around US$400. A decent hand grinder starts somewhere around US$180 and they range up to around US$400. Good electric grinders for espresso start around that price (and may not be better in the cup than a high-end hand grinder).

Knowing your budget, many here can help guide you.

vickeryj

#4: Post by vickeryj »

jeanac wrote:Hi,
Or maybe the Breville machines are good enough for me?
For example, "the Bambino™ Plus" because it is smaller and cheaper or maybe the "Barista Express" that have a grinder integrated for $700.
The regular Bambino is cheaper, and if you don't add milk then it should perform as well as the Plus.

The Bambino, however, cuts off shots at around 60 seconds, which may not be long enough to get the ratio you are looking for.

Have you tried adding hot water to espresso? That might be an option if the Bambino is appealing but the max ratio doesn't get you enough water.

jeanac (original poster)

#5: Post by jeanac (original poster) »

Thank you all and thank you Dr. Gary for your suggestion.
I will read more about the AeroPress and maybe watch some videos on YouTube.
But, I do have one small question.
Since I'm still in research mode and haven't decided yet on the final solution, should I invest in a higher quality grinder?
just in case the AeroPress will not work for me and I go with a real espresso machine instead?
For example, if I go back to the Rancilio solution, will the Baratza Encore still do the trick?
I've read that for an espresso, I need to start somewhere around the Rancilio Rocky...is that true?
or this theory is only for espresso connoisseur and not Lungo ?

Thank you,

MNate

#6: Post by MNate replying to jeanac »

Grinder first is a good thought because it has a huge effect on the end results. BUT... it's much better to get a grinder for espresso or for brew. They don't do both very well at any modest price range.

I would keep exploring the brew options and beans as they are cheap and can help you understand the world of coffee better. If you find something you like, great! The espresso world is not only expensive but also rather time intensive.

For espresso I really like the Cafelat Robot and find it an ideal setup for beginners since it is relatively economics, easy to learn, can handle a variety of shot styles, and, very importantly, has almost no ongoing maintenance or problems. But again, if you find some other brew method, like aeropress, or the right beans or method, you might be happier!

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

The Encore is not sufficient for espresso.

The Rocky was a popular suggestion 20-25 years ago along with the Gaggia MDF, but I think there are better grinders available at comparable prices.

jeanac (original poster)

#8: Post by jeanac (original poster) »

Thank you Jeff.
any suggestion on those "better grinders" with comparable prices?

drgary
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary »

You could try a hand grinder that is capable of espresso along with an AeroPress. I'm thinking of the Orphan Espresso LIDO E-T, or something comparable. There are many hand grinder choices, and I have not been keeping up with them. If you are happy with the AeroPress and want an electric grinder at home, the hand grinder can become your travel grinder.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

ragdoll serenade

#10: Post by ragdoll serenade »

Have you ever used a Moka Pot?