Looking for a better coffee solution - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
klee11mtl

#11: Post by klee11mtl »

What was helpful for me as a beginner was to visit a local machine seller. The store I went to had their machines on display with paired grinders that were already dialed in so you could see the workflow and taste the shot. If you deem what you taste to be on the "pretty good" side of acceptable, know that you should be able to do better at home and customized to your tastes.

Your profile says Laval, QC and there are 2 Cafe Union locations in Montreal. I have no personal experience with this seller but their posted pictures show a similar layout to the SCG shop I went to.

Jeff
Team HB

#12: Post by Jeff »

I haven't tried out grinders in the $500 range in a while myself. I think there are some great hand grinders in the US$180-400 range. I've read good things about the grind quality and usability of things like the Baratza Sette 270 (~$400), Vario (~$500), and many people seem to enjoy the Eureka grinders as well.

For me, I want a single-dosing grinder (no hopper, low retention, low exchange) and "stepless" in its adjustment. The Baratza grinders, while technically "stepped", have fine enough adjustments that they are effectively stepless. Being able to return back to a specific grind setting after making an adjustment is important as well. ("Well, that made it worse. Go back to the last setting.") Some have too much play or backlash to make that possible.

jeanac (original poster)

#13: Post by jeanac (original poster) »

Thank you guys. I already ordered the AeroPress from Amazon... it should arrive tomorrow.
I ordered a scale too ;-)
I have a lot to learn.
I will keep all your suggestions and I will be visiting "Cafe Union" store as soon as it is possible.

Thank you.

Easton

#14: Post by Easton »

Let me introduce you to an interesting machine that I think might be perfect for you. Im not sure how long you like to spend in the morning making a cup of espresso, but if you do not mind. It is sorta like a aero press but what I like to think of as a premium aero press. It is the Cafelat Robot, it is a manual lever machine that introduces espresso in a different way

Pros specifically for you:
No steam wand
You can choose exactly what you want pulled and for how long
plus more, after you see it you will have your mind on it

So since you can get super technical with how you pull your shot that can also come back and bite you in the butt. Why I say this is because it can kinda make or break your shot if you have a good grinder and tamp the perfect way then pull you can get a better shot then some 700 dollar espresso machines. I have seen these set on HB for 275 to 375 new they are around 400.

So on the matter of grinders I would suggest something like the Rancilio Rocky or even one of the Eureka Mignon grinders. There is nothing wrong with buying any of these items used.

And the good thing about getting a capable grinder is that eventually if you find that you want to get more technically with how you pull your hots and you want to be able to adjust flow rate and the climb of preassure you can buy a Decent espresso machine. Im not saying a like "decent" espresso machine but something like the Decent DE1+. This machine will leave you with remarkable results with being able to mimic the flow profiles for different machines whether that Is a lever machine or something else you can mimic it with this machine, but this would all be for the future unless you can drop a couple k to get the Decent.