Looking for an all metal/glass alternative to the Aeropress?

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
Tomtomtom1234

Postby Tomtomtom1234 » Nov 13, 2017, 6:56 pm

The Aeropress makes a very nice, smooth, clean cup of coffee. I love it. I don't love the plastic. What other equipment makes a similar cup of coffee?

Lacoffee

Postby Lacoffee » Nov 13, 2017, 7:11 pm

chemex. v60. if you make it like "normal" coffee that is - more like americano than "espresso".
Andrew

Paroxysmalism

Postby Paroxysmalism » Nov 13, 2017, 7:36 pm

Tomtomtom1234 wrote:The Aeropress makes a very nice, smooth, clean cup of coffee. I love it. I don't love the plastic. What other equipment makes a similar cup of coffee?

Right?! I totally agree with you. I think that if they'd made it out of nicer materials and marketed it more as a piece of gear than a gadget, then it might have a better following in the 3rd wave/HB crowd.
Adam
Single-Origin Alchemist

CwD

Postby CwD » Nov 13, 2017, 8:01 pm

Artisan Smith makes an Aeropress copy in stainless steel called Artisan Press.

Tomtomtom1234

Postby Tomtomtom1234 » Nov 13, 2017, 8:32 pm

CwD wrote:Artisan Smith makes an Aeropress copy in stainless steel called Artisan Press.

YES!!!!! I've been looking for something like this forever, thanks! You just made my day! Have you used one of these? I wonder if the seal is as good as on the plastic version.

I still think the aeropress could be improved and am interested in alternatives but this looks great.

Here's a link:
https://www.artisansmith.com.au/collections/brewing/products/artisan-press-stainless-steel

Paroxysmalism

Postby Paroxysmalism » Nov 13, 2017, 9:11 pm

Sigh...you Australians get all the cool coffee gear and culture: Table service, Matt Perger, This Fancy Aeropress.... :wink:
Adam
Single-Origin Alchemist

Kryptonicspb

Postby Kryptonicspb » Nov 13, 2017, 9:25 pm

I use an "impress" cup and love it. stainless steal with a quality silicon gasket. plus it stays hot for 4-5 hours

aecletec

Postby aecletec » Nov 13, 2017, 10:15 pm

Paroxysmalism wrote: it might have a better following in the 3rd wave

Is the Aeropress and associated competitions not popular in the US? It's huge here and elsewhere in the world.
Many specialty cafes in Australia have or currently feature it on the menu...

Paroxysmalism

Postby Paroxysmalism » Nov 13, 2017, 10:39 pm

aecletec wrote:Is the Aeropress and associated competitions not popular in the US? It's huge here and elsewhere in the world.

Hmm can't say for sure, maybe it's just my perception. I just feel like, for brew, I see more attention given to FP, Chemex, v60, maybe siphon too.
Adam
Single-Origin Alchemist

Tomtomtom1234

Postby Tomtomtom1234 » Nov 13, 2017, 10:40 pm

aecletec wrote:Is the Aeropress and associated competitions not popular in the US? It's huge here and elsewhere in the world.

It's pretty popular here in the US too. Every roaster I've been to sells them

Sponsored by intelligentsiacoffee.com
www.intelligentsiacoffee.com: home of the black cat project