Looking for 3-5kg roaster for startup in Japan

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
JWStarr

#1: Post by JWStarr »

Hello! I'm looking for recommends for which roasters are good for startups. I may need to go used. I'm not sure where to look or which ones are best. I've read a good bit and looked around, but still in overload and would like to discuss the topic. 3 - 5 KG is a guess. I know Probat is a popular type and a few of the other big names. I haven't found a very big market for used Roasters in Japan yet. People use Fujiroyal a lot, but they are pricey and I haven't seen much used so far. I can import. Has anyone looked at Garanti? Some people love Turkish roasters. I see a lot of stuff coming out of China/Taiwan, some looks well made.. Right now I run Huky from Tiawan and it puts out great bean... Anyway, I'm kinda open to any thoughts people might have, I obviously am in the green phase..

Thanks!!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/xFfC9 ... 75-h656-no

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Garanti's are a mixed bag. Usually poor or variable build quality. I wouldn't even consider one.

If you're willing to import, take a look at Mill City Roasters in MN.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

JWStarr (original poster)

#3: Post by JWStarr (original poster) »

Thanks!! I appreciate it/.. I have so much data in my brain with this startup that I feel like I'm herding locusts or something...

hankua
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by hankua »

BellaTaiwan just shipped a new EVO-4s to Japan, one of the first of their larger machines to arrive. There are four versions of the 4k roasters starting out with the 803n, EVO-4, EVO-4s and the upgraded EVO-4s. The Kaohsiung Kapok 5.0 is a beautifully built machine, unfortunately cost double what a Bella goes for. Bella has a 4k, 6k, and 12k set up for testing in the Taipei showroom and would only require a one day trip.The Japanese roaster builder called Hama Coffee might be worth checking out. http://hama-coffee.ocnk.net/phone/.

danetrainer

#5: Post by danetrainer »

I don't know about availability in your country but look into the Korean roaster "Proaster", I set up a 6kg at a local cafe here about 5 years ago and liked everything about it.

#6: Post by JWStarr (original poster) »

All of these roasters look incredible. Thanks so much. I wrote to the manufacturers. Do you have any notes on other places to try to buy these things??? or used ?? Hard to find used machines.

#7: Post by JWStarr (original poster) »

Oh man... someone say something awesome... haha.. I have replies from everyone.. 5 KG roasters go from 9000 USD to 20,000...

has anyone built a serious 5 KG roaster?? I'm curious.. maybe start another thread ... thanks!

hankua
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by hankua »

Is there a reason Aillio Bullet R1 couldn't work for a small cafe?
1K roasters are the standard size for cafe duty in Taiwan including retail sales.

Almico

#9: Post by Almico »

JWStarr wrote:Hello! I'm looking for recommends for which roasters are good for startups.
"Startup" what? What are you starting up? Coffee bar? Cafe? Roasterie? Are you planning to sell beans wholesale? Retail? How many different origins of coffees do you plan on carrying? Blends? Do you have a business plan?

#10: Post by JWStarr (original poster) »

I am running a cafe and would like to sell beans retail. I wouldn't want spend my whole day roasting if I could avoid it.. so if I could roast a couple of times per week it would be optimal. I also have an interest in selling to other local cafes.. I would be the only roaster in the area. I could do maybe a 2 KG roaster or so.. I haven't seen many intermediate roasters. Right now I roast a few hours every week and can't keep up with it with my 500g roaster.. 1 KG would be better, but not once I'm expanding my customers. I am concerned it would be a large expenditure that would only help by half....

Does someone know of a good intermediate 2 or 3KG?? or other idea?

Thanks!
hankua wrote:Is there a reason Aillio Bullet R1 couldn't work for a small cafe?
1K roasters are the standard size for cafe duty in Taiwan including retail sales.