Londinium Compressa

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
nsuster

#1: Post by nsuster »

Hey all! Long time lurker on this forum mainly because I have a Pro 500 (non-PID) that I'm decently happy with but want to keep up with what's out there.

My wife and I have recently became interested in upgrading to a lever machine due to the simplicity and possibilities associated with the design. Does anyone have any experience yet with the Compressa? I'm trying to figure out what I would be missing over the R24 if we can make the plumb in option work. We have about 5 bar of pressure on our line so would miss out on the 6 bar control but we could also save $1300 with no pump, water reservoir, digital PI control, and wireless.

I would say I like the idea of digital PI control and wireless but I also don't think I would miss it. Also, what are the implications if the in-house Londinium board fails on the R24? Would the machine still work? One concern would be how hot these boards/electronics are running in the machine (as an EE I'm aware that about 50% of board failures are due to thermal mitigation issues).

I'm not concerned about plumbing the machine in with a pressure regulator and possible filter. I can make that work.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

RobindG

#2: Post by RobindG »

I love the simplicity of the Compressa. A lot less complicated parts that can fail. If you have 5 bar line pressure I would definitely choose the Compressa. I ordered one last week.

nsuster

#3: Post by nsuster »

I love the simplicity of the Compressa. A lot less complicated parts that can fail. If you have 5 bar line pressure I would definitely choose the Compressa. I ordered one last week.
Thanks for the advice. I agree on the idea of simplicity. Did you receive yours yet? I'd be interested in your first impressions once you get some time with it.

bcrdukes
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by bcrdukes »

Thanks for the post, folks.

I am interested in one myself as well, narrowing things down between this, a Bezzera, and Olympia. This seems the most simplest, but requiring plumbing and large counter space, which may prove difficult for me in my current situation (pending renovations.) Interested as well to learn of experiences and impressions. Thanks in advance and much appreciated.

Madman13

#5: Post by Madman13 »

I have a londinum R with preinfusion module (not much different the the r24 minus the quite pump) and I converted it to direct plumb. If you have 5 bar line pressure available to you then I would def choose the compressa over the r24 in my opinion if you don't mind plumbing it in.

There is an additional advantage to the compressa versus the r24, with line pressure pre-infusion you will have a smooth gentle application of pressure/flow for pre-infusion versus a pump kicking on and off.

nsuster

#6: Post by nsuster » replying to Madman13 »

Thanks for the input! I just measured my pressure at the source I would use and it's more like 4.7 bar but still pretty good. So I would only be missing out on about 4.5-6 bar PI. I don't mind plumbing it in and my wife would actually prefer it. She doesn't like the noise of our current vibe pump.

How to you like your R direct plumbed vs. pumped?

sadbox
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by sadbox »

It's not exactly the same, but I would personally not stress too much about your PI pressure. Plenty of people around here (myself included) who are using dipper levers with 1-1.2bar preinfusion. I pull light roasts at high extractions, and even long ratios on a Bosco with no issues. I think you should be happy with the Compressa.
LMWDP #674

Madman13

#8: Post by Madman13 »

nsuster wrote:Thanks for the input! I just measured my pressure at the source I would use and it's more like 4.7 bar but still pretty good. So I would only be missing out on about 4.5-6 bar PI. I don't mind plumbing it in and my wife would actually prefer it. She doesn't like the noise of our current vibe pump.

I prefer it plumbed, I feel that shot quality improved from the smoother preinfusion pressure. If you think about it, when has a pulsitile pre-infusion pressure EVER been even proposed to be superior to a smooth pressure application during PI. I read about this in a Scott Rao blog post a long time ago and it made perfect sense.

I would not say that you are "missing out" on 4.5-6 bar PI..I mean is that really PI at that pressure anyways? I never use above 4 bar anyways for PI and you can always raise that lever slowly for any additional PI after that if you wanted.

The only thing you are missing out on is the ability to quickly change PI via the app versus making the change manually with your pressure regulator. What you gain is $$$, a simpler machine with less to break/maintain, no water tank to constantly refill.

relax

#9: Post by relax »

nsuster wrote:Thanks for the input! I just measured my pressure at the source I would use and it's more like 4.7 bar but still pretty good. So I would only be missing out on about 4.5-6 bar PI. I don't mind plumbing it in and my wife would actually prefer it. She doesn't like the noise of our current vibe pump.

Compressa is set to use 3 bar PI, if your home line pressure is about 4.7 bar, you need to use a pressure reducer. You can use the 3 bar PI for pre-infusion and with the help of the spring you can make your coffee at around 6.5 bar. I use this machine for around one month and found the taste is much more smooth than my Synchronika.

nsuster

#10: Post by nsuster »

Madman13 wrote:I prefer it plumbed, I feel that shot quality improved from the smoother preinfusion pressure. If you think about it, when has a pulsitile pre-infusion pressure EVER been even proposed to be superior to a smooth pressure application during PI. I read about this in a Scott Rao blog post a long time ago and it made perfect sense.

I would not say that you are "missing out" on 4.5-6 bar PI..I mean is that really PI at that pressure anyways? I never use above 4 bar anyways for PI and you can always raise that lever slowly for any additional PI after that if you wanted.

The only thing you are missing out on is the ability to quickly change PI via the app versus making the change manually with your pressure regulator. What you gain is $$$, a simpler machine with less to break/maintain, no water tank to constantly refill.
Thanks! I agree completely especially after discussing with Reiss the last couple days. 4.5 bar is adequate and I agree with the sentiment that I'm not really missing out on 4.5-6. Turning a pressure regulator isn't any harder in my book than updating on the app. I also still believe the thing that will fail first in the long run will be electronics on these newer machines with the ECU and wifi controllers, etc.

$$$ gained to put towards a Monolith :D