Londinium Compressa - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
nsuster (original poster)

#11: Post by nsuster (original poster) »

relax wrote:Compressa is set to use 3 bar PI, if your home line pressure is about 4.7 bar, you need to use a pressure reducer. You can use the 3 bar PI for pre-infusion and with the help of the spring you can make your coffee at around 6.5 bar. I use this machine for around one month and found the taste is much more smooth than my Synchronika.
Thanks for the first impressions Danny. I was also originally torn between a lever and the Synchronika/Pro 700. You just made my decision easier. I own a Pro 500 now and still prefer the simplicity of 1 boiler vs. 2.

Reiss said that you need a minimum of 3 bar due to PI based on lighter roasts. My understanding from what he said is the machine would function at even 1.5 bar but the PI would be fixed there. Under 1 bar the boiler would not fill at all.

Madman13

#12: Post by Madman13 »

nsuster wrote:Thanks! I agree completely especially after discussing with Reiss the last couple days. 4.5 bar is adequate and I agree with the sentiment that I'm not really missing out on 4.5-6. Turning a pressure regulator isn't any harder in my book than updating on the app. I also still believe the thing that will fail first in the long run will be electronics on these newer machines with the ECU and wifi controllers, etc.

$$$ gained to put towards a Monolith :D
Good decision I would say!

RobindG

#13: Post by RobindG »

nsuster wrote:$$ gained to put towards a Monolith :D
Or an Ultra!

#14: Post by nsuster (original poster) »

I have to admit I was out of the loop on the Ultra. After much reading I am definitely intrigued. Much easier to procure!

RobindG

#15: Post by RobindG replying to nsuster »

Nice!

one_good_coffee

#16: Post by one_good_coffee »

nsuster wrote:I just measured my pressure at the source I would use and it's more like 4.7 bar but still pretty good. So I would only be missing out on about 4.5-6 bar PI.
When you say 4.7 bar, do you mean after all the mandatory water filtration system? I'm quite surprised, this is very high.

#17: Post by nsuster (original poster) replying to one_good_coffee »

I have the filter and plumbing on order and will see if the pressure changes. I talked to the filter company and they said there should be minimal pressure drop across that filter. Luckily our water in Portland is very soft so I don't need a water softener. They were trying to convince me to buy an inline Pb filter as well but they said the pressure drop across that would be large.

Once I get the filter plumbed in I'll verify the pressure.

https://cuzn.com/product/uc-200-under-c ... er-filter/

one_good_coffee

#18: Post by one_good_coffee »

Well I'm actually surprised they don't publish this kind of data.

For reference, here is a company I'm used to : https://www.atlasfiltri.com/en/products.
And if you jump to a particular cartridge, you can download the full specifications of the product which shows exactly what kind of pressure drop you can expect based on the flow rate: https://www.atlasfiltri.com/sites/defau ... ces/TS.pdf.

Regular sediment filter cartdriges usually have very small pressure drop (<0.1ΔP) at typical household flow rate, except when you go for very fine filtration (<1µm). But carbon filter cartdriges have high pressure drop (>0.5ΔP).

Anyway your pressure regulator will tell you what you have and what you can play with. Keep us updated with the results.

Also, in the link you posted, they state that this cartdrige has a 5-year lifespan. This is a bit unheard of, typical filter cartdriges need to be changed every 3 to 6 months, even for the bacteriostatic ones. I would be very careful with this.

#19: Post by nsuster (original poster) »

Yes, I agree. I had to call them and discuss the different options to get data. I've read various things online but most people say there is "no significant pressure drop." I don't know if that means 0.5 bar, 0.1 bar, etc.

I also agree that the 50000 gallon life is extremely high. They recommend changing it after 5 years no matter what.

There are other filters that are rated for 50000 gallons:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/AQUASURE-Fo ... /312078289

And some with 5 year life for a refrigerator:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoPure-5-Y ... /301065673

I'll report back once I have everything installed on output pressure based on flow.

pcrussell50

#20: Post by pcrussell50 »

bcrdukes wrote:Thanks for the post, folks.

I am interested in one myself as well, narrowing things down between this, a Bezzera, and Olympia. This seems the most simplest, but requiring plumbing and large counter space, which may prove difficult for me in my current situation (pending renovations.) Interested as well to learn of experiences and impressions. Thanks in advance and much appreciated.
For people in your shoes, plumbing can be done in very rudimentary and reversible ways. My plumbed machine is in a corner to the left of, and a few feet away from the kitchen sink. We have granite, or some kind of similar stone (don't know what it really is, it came with the house). I am using the existing hole in the granite counter where there was originally one of those soap dispensers that nobody uses, so no drilling. And I have run the feed line up through that hole and along the back edge of the sink, to the left, all the way to the machine. Fully reversible, incredibly easy. I do have to manually dump the drip tray. But it's arms reach from the sink. I just pull it out, reach right to the sink and dump it. Easy peasy.

No cuts drills or holes that weren't already there. A little uglier than running them underneath, but it you're getting ready for a remodel, then least harm.

-Peter
LMWDP #553