LIDO E/Helor 101 vs. Baratza Vario/Sette 270?

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
cskorton

Postby cskorton » Jun 14, 2018, 1:29 pm

Hi All,

I haven't seen any direct comparisons between the grind quality of a Lido E/Helor 101/other comparable hand grinder to the Baratza Vario/Sette 270. Does anyone have any personal experience and are the grind qualities similar?

I'm looking to buy my first grinder, and I'm drawn to hand grinders because they won't take up counter space, simpler, and they seem to be a better value. I want to make sure I won't be missing out on anything if I go with a Lido E as opposed to the Sette or Vario.

Thanks!

Capac

Postby Capac » Jun 14, 2018, 5:14 pm

Lido should give you a nice consistent grind that can certainly rival sette or vario. It is one of the faster hand grinders, but you'll still have to work.

That is just based on extensive research online, but I did just order Lido ET (E not in stock).

jgordon311

Postby jgordon311 » Jun 15, 2018, 2:48 pm

I have a Lido E and Baratza Sette. I use the Lido for pour-over and Sette for espresso. I've tried the Lido for an espresso grind and it came out well, but dialing in can be kind of tricky because of the adjustment method. It's definitely capable of doing a good espresso grind, I just didn't have the patience to really do extensive testing. The Sette requires adjustment when you change beans, as well as over time as beans age. I like them both a lot, though I have been interested in the Kinu M47 and HG-1.

mivanitsky

Postby mivanitsky » Jun 15, 2018, 3:49 pm

cskorton wrote:Hi All,

I haven't seen any direct comparisons between the grind quality of a Lido E/Helor 101/other comparable hand grinder to the Baratza Vario/Sette 270. Does anyone have any personal experience and are the grind qualities similar?

I'm looking to buy my first grinder, and I'm drawn to hand grinders because they won't take up counter space, simpler, and they seem to be a better value. I want to make sure I won't be missing out on anything if I go with a Lido E as opposed to the Sette or Vario.

Thanks!

For espresso, I prefer Helor 101 to Lido 2 that I owned, and Vario that I later converted to Ditting burrs for drip. I have no direct experience with Sette. Lido 3 and Lido E are supposed to be better than Lido 2 for espresso. Helor 101 is a great value for espresso. The Kinu M47 is even better, per my friends who have tried both.

forbeskm

Postby forbeskm » Jun 15, 2018, 6:27 pm

I can't speak to the E, I have had no issues adjusting my Lido 2 for espresso. I am sure the E makes it even easier. A sharpy is your friend.

Capac

Postby Capac » Jun 15, 2018, 7:34 pm

All new lidos are the same now apart from looks, handle and adjustment thread.

I ordered ET instead of E because it was in stock while E wasn't, so the choice was made for me.

kenyabob

Postby kenyabob » Jun 21, 2018, 11:17 am

The Helor or Lido will last for life. The same likely cannot be said for the Sette or Vario.

happycat

Postby happycat » replying to kenyabob » Jun 21, 2018, 9:41 pm

You need the extra life because of all the extra time it takes to grind :o

Sette, 4.5 sec for 16.5gm

Capac

Postby Capac » Jun 22, 2018, 4:53 am

Lido ET is great - if you aren't making a lot of shots at the time often, I'd go with it over the sette/vario.