Levering up - machine suggestions - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Ad-85

#11: Post by Ad-85 »

+1 for the CT2. Works well and Wouter offers great support. You could fill the open boiler with hot water from the kettle and keep serving cups all day!
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads on Telegram

TynH (original poster)

#12: Post by TynH (original poster) »

Ok so this is my current setup:

https://i.postimg.cc/1XvGJ42V/IMG-0942.jpg

(how do I add images?)

I really don't want my next machine to be any smaller, fit less cups, look like a prototype or gadget, having the steam wand on the LH side would be a bonus but I'm willing to compromise. :mrgreen:
Oh and GOOD steaming capabilities are also a necessity.
I may have to take another look at the Strega, why did they fit the noisiest pump they could get their hands on?
That's quite a long list of modifications @bostonbuzz! Since this should be a premium machine I'm a bit surprised, didn't expect PIDs being a thing on well designed lever machines. Stock pre-infusion setting at 9 bar does seem a bit high though.

Plumbing would eliminate the need for a pump but I'm not drilling through our Dekton countertop and it's a small kitchen so no spare cabinet space either. I could run everything through the back wall, not exactly a cheap option though, but that would make servicing a nightmare and I have absolutely no idea how to add a water softener which would be a must!

Ad-85

#13: Post by Ad-85 »

Profitec pro 800? It's a great machine but I wonder if one could replace the 2 springs in it with a 7.5 rated spring!
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads on Telegram

harris
Supporter ❤

#14: Post by harris »

"Haven't heard about the Londinium Vectis but uhm is there any information? They're more tight lipped than Bristol Cars it seems."

From the Londinium Forum;

"i simply dont have answers in terms of the timeline to delivery so there is very little point in marketing the project in any way. i can assure you that there are no technical obstacles, it is a very straight forward machine; a direct fill all new 58mm spring lever dipper group designed and made in england'

Reiss has asked not share any photos and I will respect that but perhaps you can inquire directly with him.

Oh, steam wand is on the right, sight glass on the left.

TynH (original poster)

#15: Post by TynH (original poster) »

Ad-85 wrote:Profitec pro 800?
Hmm. Hmmmmm. Hmmmmmmmm...
It is a great machine indeed, especially the updated version. Considerably more than I wanted to spend but I'm seriously tempted.
Definitely something to save on gas bills during the heating season as well, damn!

baldheadracing
Team HB

#16: Post by baldheadracing »

There's a public pic of the Vectis group top on Londinium's Instagram. It looks pretty good to me, geometry looks familiar (if you've spent too many hours staring at spring lever mechanicals :P), etc. Although I have gone with a different machine, I was certainly a fan right from the time that the idea was first announced years ago. If you are not in a rush, then this will be an interesting machine.

That being said, I cannot recommend a brand new machine unless your eyes are very wide open. Teething problems seem all too commonplace.

I think that you have to first decide between spring or direct. After that, domestic or commercial group.

If you want the quietness of the Pavoni with steaming, then you will either want to keep the closed boiler with, say, a Cremina SL or PV Lusso or Elektra MCaL; or go to a plumbed-in commercial group setup that is quiet. (Some machines can be noisy when plumbed in, e.g., some(?) Pro800's.) Of the three, the SL is expensive, the PV's are infamous for falling apart, which leaves the MCaL as the practical choice among domestic spring lever machines. There isn't much else out there currently. There are more choices with larger machines with commercial groups, but those machines need to be plumbed in to be quiet.

Regardless, if you can use the Pavoni well, then you won't be getting any better cup quality. You gain quantity and/or ease of use, and more steam. You'll lose on warm-up time, e.g.:
- Europiccola - 8 minutes
- MCaL - 25 minutes
- Strega - 35 minutes (electrically-heated group)
- Commercial group (w/out thermosyphon) - 60 minutes

ETA: These are typical passive warm-up times, i.e., without intervention. Flushing and similar during warm-up can cut times in half.

Good luck!
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

drgary
Team HB

#17: Post by drgary »

MCAL warmup time can be faster if you heat flush. It's temperature stable if you cut a PTFE heat break gasket, which I describe in my review.

To add images in H-B, please go to the Read Me area linked below where we ask all new members to start. There's lots of good information there, including topics on adding images and videos.

/read-me/
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

harris
Supporter ❤

#18: Post by harris »

baldheadracing wrote:There's a public pic of the Vectis group top on Londinium's Instagram. It looks pretty good to me, geometry looks familiar (if you've spent too many hours staring at spring lever mechanicals :P), etc. Although I have gone with a different machine, I was certainly a fan right from the time that the idea was first announced years ago. If you are not in a rush, then this will be an interesting machine.
Did not know about the Instagram. Part of the developing story is the new Londinium greaseless piston seals. I purchased a set for the R24 and they work incredibly well. I'm hopeful they come standard on the Vectis or at least offered as an option. Something comforting about not having grease in contact with the water.

You can use your current machine for steam and add Strietman CT2!!

mrgnomer

#19: Post by mrgnomer »

TynH wrote:Hmm. Hmmmmm. Hmmmmmmmm...
It is a great machine indeed, especially the updated version. Considerably more than I wanted to spend but I'm seriously tempted.
Definitely something to save on gas bills during the heating season as well, damn!
Ach :( I wish I has deep pockets too. I'd go for a Londinium or the new ACS Vesuvius Evo Leva. There was an ACS Aventus on sale where I am and I almost went for it. The bad reviews about issues it has stopped me. Still, a beautiful piece of sculpture.

Or I'd hunt down a Bosco Sorrento. All of those machines are not stocked by my local vendors and not wanting to subject my better half to justifying the cost and effort to get one I went with the Strega. No regrets.

I agree with deciding on what suits you. I also find the lever choice is limited to two types; the home spring/spring less with its boiler size and fill restrictions and the more expensive prosumer commercial with its way bigger footprint but tank/plumb-in filled boiler, some PID'd, OPV/pump pressure adjustability...giving them greater shot capacity, temp stability and power.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

pizzaman383
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by pizzaman383 »

You should build your own lever!

You can pick your favorite lever group and build exactly the machine you want!
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”