Lever Wanted - Page 5

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
mdmvrockford

#41: Post by mdmvrockford »

I completely agree with "emradguy." I just purchased his Mazzer Major with SSP Red Speed. It is pristine save for two 3mm diameter paint chips ...on a grinder he purchased new from official retailer >7 years ago. My prior purchased-new-from-official-retailer Mazzer Super Jolly (from 2009 and much worse paint but its new owner, my Son, did not care). I never met "emradguy" before. But I got a good "feel" from his prior posts and personal messages here on home-barista. Many of my other espresso equipment has been purchased used from similar HB members (e.g. Olympia Express Cremina, Helor 106, 64mm SSP Red Speed burrs). Same idea (buy used from fellow aficionados who clearly take good care of their equipment) applies for my other hobbies.

Others do not feel comfortable with used and want the piece of mind of brand-new and official retailer.
LMWDP #568

harris (original poster)

#42: Post by harris (original poster) »

emradguy wrote:The risk is pretty low when you're buying from one of the many regulars here.
There is a lot I can do to lessen the risk and acquiring a grind from a member here would be a good start, I agree. I'll be checking the classifieds daily. I'm not sure the grinder I start with will be the one I end up with but start I must. Thank you, your posts made me reconsider the process.

harris (original poster)

#43: Post by harris (original poster) »

mdmvrockford wrote:I completely agree with "emradguy." I just purchased his Mazzer Major with SSP Red Speed. It is pristine save for two 3mm diameter paint chips ...on a grinder he purchased new from official retailer >7 years ago. My prior purchased-new-from-official-retailer Mazzer Super Jolly (from 2009 and much worse paint but its new owner, my Son, did not care). I never met "emradguy" before. But I got a good "feel" from his prior posts and personal messages here on home-barista. Many of my other espresso equipment has been purchased used from similar HB members (e.g. Olympia Express Cremina, Helor 106, 64mm SSP Red Speed burrs). Same idea (buy used from fellow aficionados who clearly take good care of their equipment) applies for my other hobbies.

Others do not feel comfortable with used and want the piece of mind of brand-new and official retailer.
Thanks for your input, I'm beginning to see the light. I don't have to like it but it's the reality and purchasing from a HB member is good advice.

mdmvrockford

#44: Post by mdmvrockford »

harris wrote: Thus the risk the buyer takes.

Anyways, looks like I will be taking that risk, R24 will be here in about two weeks....
So does this means the Londinium R24 is used? Regardless, please post pictures when it is set up.

Also not to assume anything: if you were interested in used Kafatek grinder and cannot get one new (I certainly could not) then the Kafatek forum classified is another source. Many members here even use same forum username there. So this is useful way to get "feel" of the prospective seller. Good luck. Please post pictures of your grinder purchase.
LMWDP #568

harris (original poster)

#45: Post by harris (original poster) replying to mdmvrockford »

Nope, it's a new R24. I meant I'll be purchasing a used grinder as it stands now. I was unaware of the Kafatek forums, I'll take a look.

Thank you.

Mad Scientist

#46: Post by Mad Scientist »

harris wrote: Nope, it's a new R24. I meant I'll be purchasing a used grinder as it stands now. I was unaware of the Kafatek forums, I'll take a look.

Thank you.

I don't think it's been suggested yet, but a Baratza Vario with ceramic burrs would tide you over. The burrs produce bimodal grind good for espresso.

+1 on your Londinium :D
“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Londinium 1 (2014)

harris (original poster)

#47: Post by harris (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:Grinders I'd consider at the 10k level

Bentwood
Ultra
P100
Ditting 807 Lab Sweet
Versalab
Kafatek Flat Max
Any of a slew of conicals

I probably missed one or two, here before my coffee
Thanks for the list, helped with my homework.

So I'll be on the prowl for a used;
Versalab M4
Ditting 807 Lab Sweet
Kafatek MC4
Kafatek Flat

Perhaps even wait the two months for a new Versalab M4.

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.