Lever Wanted - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
RyanP

#21: Post by RyanP »

I have owned both a Strietman and a Londinium R at different times for around 3 years each.

The Londinium is just consistent reliable espresso when and how you want it. Walk up and pull. You can pull 6 shots in a row without any temperature issues and each shot will come out exactly the same. I love this machine and don't see myself ever getting rid of it unless a smaller and sleeker option (perhaps the odyssey argos?) comes on the market that performs equally well.

I have a soft spot for the Strietman. It's not as consistent, because it's manual. It's not exactly walk up and pull, because the temperature is running on a cycle. It is what I consider slow espresso, but in the best way possible. You don't have to deal with the quirks of closed boiler manual levers with the CT2. Hitting precise temperatures is easy, you can pull large volume shots, and it has a lever feel superior to what I experienced with a Pavoni or Cremina. It looks amazing on the counter and it pulls fantastic espresso.

Both machines will produce great espresso. The Londinium will do it with efficiency and consistency. The Strietman will provide you one of the most satisfying morning espresso rituals I think you can find in a machine. It just really matters what you're looking for in your experience.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#22: Post by LBIespresso »

John49 wrote:I see no real problem doing five consecutive shot on the CT. All you need is 5 filter baskets prep'd and you can pull a shot remove the spent basket and drop in the next one. If you have a kettle with hot water you can top up the CT and keep going.
Sure, on a one off basis. Having to do that 2x a day as the OP wants may be a bit much for some. Not saying all but need to consider that workflow vs LR24.

I'm pulling 3-4 a session and never more than 2 back to back, so I'm sticking with my CT2.
LMWDP #580

zix

#23: Post by zix »

I see no real problem doing five consecutive shot on the CT. All you need is 5 filter baskets prep'd...
... But when you add steamed milk to some of those cups the CT2 still is not the right machine. As good as it is.

I caved in to the family's demands for cappuccinos and other milk drinks and got a Dualit Cino steamer.

For me it was the best compromise at the time, I could still keep my Strietman and I (or anybody) can steam milk while pulling shots on the Strietman. The Cino steamer is not beautiful... but it does the job, and it has enough power to steam a full size pitcher. And I can put it in a dark corner. Sorry, Dualit! This isn't your most beautiful design...

But had I had the money and the kitchen space for it - yes, I would have got the Londinium R24 instead, and I could sell the Dualit.
LMWDP #047

harris (original poster)

#24: Post by harris (original poster) »

Thank you for all the input, I appreciate it. I have placed an order for a R24, Reiss has been very helpful and I like that all service parts are available on his website, makes things easy in the future. Also, he seems to be a bit of a rebel, I like that too.

Now on to grinders. Needs to be a single dose, hoppers seem silly, and the dual burr thing has me intrigued. Back when the Semiautomatica came into my life I went through a lot of grinders and a lot of price points only to find out the Pharos beat them all. With that in mind, I don't see anybody but me hand grinding beans so I'm looking to you for guidance. I've always been intrigued by the Versalab using conical and flat burrs set but have never used one. I like body with some clarity, not one to sit around picking out the flavor wheel, I think most of that is a lot of crap.

mdmvrockford

#25: Post by mdmvrockford »

harris wrote:........I have placed an order for a R24, Reiss has been very helpful and I like that all service parts are available on his website, makes things easy in the future. Also, he seems to be a bit of a rebel, I like that too.

Now on to grinders. Needs to be a single dose, hoppers seem silly, and the dual burr thing has me intrigued. Back when the Semiautomatica came into my life I went through a lot of grinders and a lot of price points only to find out the Pharos beat them all. With that in mind, I don't see anybody but me hand grinding beans so I'm looking to you for guidance. I've always been intrigued by the Versalab using conical and flat burrs set but have never used one. I like body with some clarity, not one to sit around picking out the flavor wheel, I think most of that is a lot of crap.
Congratulations on the Londinium R24. Please post some picture(s) when it is setup.

W.R.T. single dose grinders, my recommendations are same as in my prior post. I would add this (since Kafatek Monolith brand new harder to obtain): "compromise" and get a used Kafatek Monolith version 3. There seems to be some on sale as people go onto the version 4 conical. From what I read, the in-the-cup difference v3 vs. v4 is not very significant. But then again your palate may be an uber-one to detect such differences. If interested please go onto Kafatek forum for discussion of MC V3 vs. V4.

Same goes for getting a used Monolith Flat instead of Flat Max. And I would suggest getting Shuriken burrs for the Flat. Alternatively you can go for other Titan flat such as EG-1 or EK43 aligned (both whose availability I am not aware of).

You mentioned the Pharos. I have a version 1.1 and in-the-cup I have same opinion. I only stopped using it as age creeping in and chore to turn the handle (no gear reduction) for light roasted beans. But in-the-cup (to my palate) it is indistinguishable from Helor 106 (with Mazzer 0186 burrs). And in-the-cup (to my palate) Helor 106 is indistinguishable from Monolith Conical V1. Others on this forum have stated Helor 106 and MC V3 are indistinguishable in-the-cup. Perhaps save a Titan manual for yourself; keep using the Pharos for those times you want hands-on single-dose experience.

Also in the HB "buy/sell" thread there is used Versalab M4 on sale.
LMWDP #568

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by emradguy »

I would agree the Monolith Flat (not Max) would be a good choice, and I'm not just saying that because I have one I'm thinking of putting up for sale. I have Pharos 1.0 (with full VoodooDaddy mods), Monolith MC4, and recently sold my Mazzer Major with SSP Red Speed burrs, since I also have the Monolith Flat. The Flat gives better clarity over the conical grinders and the Major, yet still maintains a decent amount of richness and body, especially with comfort blends. It's a great all around grinder, if you want to enjoy the full spectrum of roast profiles with a single unit. I just got a Max in the recent pre-order, because I wanted the expanded range of Max and MC4 on my bar.

Congrats on the LR24, not only because you are getting an excellent machine, but also because you were able to come to a decision. I ended up with L1 Compressa, but was on the fence between the two for several weeks. Reiss's level of support and customer care is unmatched, and the machines are as fantastic as all the things you hear about them.
LMWDP #748

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#27: Post by JB90068 »

For a single dose grinder - email Weber. They may have some silver EG-1's still available. At the very least they will let you know when they will have a release date. They ship via DHL and it will take about five days to get to you.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

Idfixe

#28: Post by Idfixe »

If goal is to drink espresso only, CT1/2 is a great machine. If you drink milk based drinks, not so much...

Idfixe

#29: Post by Idfixe »

Remember the budget guys: 10k for grinder and machine.... A leva 1G is more than double that...

Espressoman007

#30: Post by Espressoman007 »

Ditting 807 Lab Sweet...I am so impressed with it.

Cheers!