Lever or pump

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
alexis

#1: Post by alexis »

Hi lever experts,

I'm new to this great forum (learned a lot already) but I'm a bit lost so value your tips.

I'm thinking to move from a pump to a lever espresso machine but hesitant because I prefer darker roasts and I also like to make lungos quiet often (may be 50/50 with regular espressos). From what I have seen on this forum, levers tend to run hotter (not so good for darker roasts) and making lungos is tricky. I love the low tech and low maintenance of levers but I'm not sure it will be the right machine for me given my coffee tastes.

What would you recommend? Thanks.

Marmot

#2: Post by Marmot »

Hey!

In your case the Bezzera Strega seems like an ideal option. It is an HX machine and you can lower the brew temperature fast by flushing the group. The machine is hot pretty fast due to heating elements in the group. The Strega has a vibration pump which fills the group completely and enables you to pull large shots. But you have to be ok with the pump noise before extraction ;)

alexis (original poster)

#3: Post by alexis (original poster) »

I had considered the Strega: it's a bit large for the space I have. What about something like the Olympia Cremina?

Marmot

#4: Post by Marmot »

Yes, the Cremina is an excellent choice. I use it often especially for a really dark roast. You have to watch the temperature though. I turn it on and pull a shot as soon as it reaches final pressure and then turn it off again. Pavonis are also good and if you get a really old one the build quality is almost as well as with the Cremina. There are also small open boiler spring lever machines like the Arrarex Caravel and La Peppina. I have a La Peppina and it is ready pretty fast and does not overheat like a Cremina or Pavoni. But you have to turn the heater off once the water gets boiling or you can put in an immersion heater with temperature control. But open boiler means no milk steaming.
These machines all give you little shot volumes though. If you want to pull lungos with a lever machine the Strega or other large spring lever machines with a pump filling the group is the only choice I can think of at the moment.

alexis (original poster)

#5: Post by alexis (original poster) »

Thanks Marmot for the advice. I have some videos where people pull longer shots on La Pavina by moving up the lever twice which as far as I understand fills the chamber twice so should double the volume. But it seems a bit tricky?

Marmot

#6: Post by Marmot »

Yes, it's called fellini move and you get a little more water into the group by letting the coffee powder suck up some of the water and then let in some more. You don't get a lot more volume and it can be detrimental for the integrity of the coffee puck but you will get a feel for it. I think you will not get more than about 35ml but with a Pavoni or Cremina you don't dose as much as with other machines. 12 to 14 grams is often enough so 35ml is not bad ;)

Ad-85

#7: Post by Ad-85 »

I've always thought that declining pressure profiles on levers aren't meant for lungos (even on commercial spring levers). I make tasty dark roast long blacks using conicals instead.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

alexis (original poster)

#8: Post by alexis (original poster) »

What do you mean by "conicals"?

Ad-85

#9: Post by Ad-85 »

Helor 106. This grinder produces delicious creamy long blacks (for my taste). I don't think flat grinders can produce that creaminess.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

alexis (original poster)

#10: Post by alexis (original poster) »

Thanks Marmot and AD-85 for the advice