Lever or profiling espresso machine for light roasts? - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
GorchT (original poster)

#21: Post by GorchT (original poster) »

K7 wrote:Wow this thread became popular very fast lol.

If you don't need to steam milk, why focus so much on those big and heavy machines with a large steam boiler? It seems to me Flair 58 is tailor-made for your needs mentioned in the OP. Xris on YT has videos on Flair 58 workflows. Quite nice IMO.

If you want a pump machine, a single boiler with PID may be worth considering. Doesn't cost thousands yet you still get consistent shots. On some (many?) machines like Lelit Anna PID and Victoria, you can even pressure profile using the steam knob while pulling a shot.
Thank you, yes this thread is for me a way to see which machines to consider in the near or far future. Also, I want to have something different to a Flair as my next machine. If at some point I want to upgrade mine. I will definitely go for the 58. Also, thank you for mentioning Xris. I really enjoy his videos.

Amberale

#22: Post by Amberale »

I'm pretty sure the Cremina now comes either in a spring or non-spring version but if I was spending that much and didn't want milk I would be buying a Strietman.
I am looking at buying either a Strietman or a Odyssey to go with my Bianca next year.
I don't need two but I want the lever experience and the Bianca's ease of use.

Your English is is fantastic compared to my very limited Deutsche as is usual in my experience with most Europeans.

drH

#23: Post by drH »

GorchT wrote:Thank you for the mentioning,
Can you say something about those machines have you used them?

I haven't used either but I know that Izzo has 54mm portafilter and a double spring that starts at 10-11bar and declines. It has a PID for easy temperature adjustment.
Achille has no PID but it does have a HX to ensure stable group temperature (even if not as adjustable).

yoshi005

#24: Post by yoshi005 »

If the 4.500 EUR of the Decent is too costly, you should better not look up the price for a Lapera.

The Londinium Compressa is reasonably priced. I would also consider vintage lever machines.
LMWDP #453

GorchT (original poster)

#25: Post by GorchT (original poster) »

Amberale wrote:I'm pretty sure the Cremina now comes either in a spring or non-spring version but if I was spending that much and didn't want milk I would be buying a Strietman.
I am looking at buying either a Strietman or a Odyssey to go with my Bianca next year.
I don't need two but I want the lever experience and the Bianca's ease of use.

Your English is is fantastic compared to my very limited Deutsche, as is usual in my experience with most Europeans.
Thank you for the advice. The Strietman looks like something further in the future... But I guess maybe at some point I will buy it. I guess maybe the Odyssey will be perfect.
OT: German is a tough language :D I always fail when my coworkers ask me why something is spelt like this or why is it "der, die, das".
drH wrote: I haven't used either but I know that Izzo has 54mm portafilter and a double spring that starts at 10-11bar and declines. It has a PID for easy temperature adjustment.
Achille has no PID but it does have a HX to ensure stable group temperature (even if not as adjustable).
Okay, I am currently looking more and more into a spring lever machine. It just seems to be the thing I am looking for. So really thank you for your input.

GorchT (original poster)

#26: Post by GorchT (original poster) »

yoshi005 wrote:If the 4.500 EUR of the Decent is too costly, you should better not look up the price for a Lapera.

The Londinium Compressa is reasonably priced. I would also consider vintage lever machines.
THANKS! I didn't see it at all....Yes, way too pricey. Which ones would you recommend, besides your Faema Lambro? And are there any special sources to look at besides E-bay and Kaffee-Netz in Germany?

yoshi005

#27: Post by yoshi005 »

A Faema President, Urania or Lambro would be my favourite as they are very common and you can easily source parts. A Brugnetti Aurora is the predecessor of the lapera but they rarely cum up for sale.

I got my machine from a member of the kaffee-netz, which would be my recommendation for a reliable source.

You could also subscribe to some lever groups on FB, where I have seen many vintage levers for sale.
LMWDP #453

GorchT (original poster)

#28: Post by GorchT (original poster) replying to yoshi005 »

Sorry, sadly I can't answer as frequently as I want, because the site is telling me I am spamming :cry: .Thank you for your recommendations, one more question: Is the quality of the coffee equally good, do I have to take more care of the machines? So what do you see as pro arguments and contra arguments for the "classical" machines?
Really thank you.

yoshi005

#29: Post by yoshi005 »

I have had a Londinium for 5 years and I had great coffee from it. On the other side, I had always wanted a FAEMA LAMBRO as it has a timeless yet classy design which appeals to me.

To me, the Lambro's Zodiaco group ist more forgiving and stable than the modern lever group of the Londinium plus I love the manual water fill. Espresso is great from both.

When you buy a vintage machine you have no warranty and there is always a risk if you do not buy from a reliable source. But you usually have less electonic parts tha can fail.

Classical as well as modern machines have their service cycle. After five years of use my modern L1 was in the same service state as my 50 years old Lambro is rigth now five years after its last full service. At some time you have to decalcify the boiler, change seals, gaskets and perhaps a pressurestat, and after the service it is as good as new.
LMWDP #453

GorchT (original poster)

#30: Post by GorchT (original poster) replying to yoshi005 »

Thank you, this really helps a lot. I guess no I will have to see what makes the most sense. The first thing most likely will be getting the same grinder as you have. So now I will have time until around October to see which machine to get and maybe I'll be lucky on Kaffee-Netz or e-bay. Thanks a lot to everybody for giving me a lot of pieces of information and sharing your experiences. It really does help me.