Lever Espresso Machine Recommendations - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
ShotClock (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by ShotClock (original poster) »

I love the idea of a Strietman, but the lack of steam makes it impractical. If i were a straight espresso drinker, it would be at the top of the list.

The PV Lusso looks like a good machine for the money, but I'd rather spend a bit more to get things like a slightly larger shot, vacuum breaker, better availability of baskets etc.

Much has been said about the value of the cremina, and it's an interesting topic. On one hand, the fact that it's 1k more than the Londinium Compressa seems crazy. On the other hand, it might be a bargain if it lasts for 40 years?

tompoland

#12: Post by tompoland replying to ShotClock »

If you have a Decent, you can still use that for steam. If that works for you, I'm fine with it but some might find it strange.

If it's Compressa v Cremina, go with your heart on that I reckon. Don't settle, life is too short. Long after you have forgotten the price (whichever one you choose) you'll get to admire and appreciate the machine every day without feeling like you compromised.
A little obsessed.

MemPast

#13: Post by MemPast »

I have a couple levers and E61 machines. 58 mm baskets are tricky, and I keep experimenting with different ones, and I find the majority of 58 baskets not be good. Small baskets (49 in LP, and less than 49 in Zerowatt) are much easier to work with. Shot volume is a limitation though.

Given your needs, a Bezzera Strega might be a good option. Fast warm up, 58 baskets, relatively small boiler, and so on. The only thing you might dislike from your description is it has a pump and HX, so it is not as simple as a Cremina, yet simpler than a Decent!

BKH

#14: Post by BKH »

I just noticed the reply above beat me to mentioning the Strega. Here is my post:

Have you considered the Bezzera Strega? It's smaller than some levers :lol:

I initially looked at the dipper levers because I was attracted to the silent operation of the more traditional design. I was also concerned about flushing. I came around to the Strega because of the faster heat up time and the HX design. I think it is ready to make espresso in about 20 minutes. There are some good reviews on HB.

Kaffee Bitte

#15: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

MemPast wrote:I have a couple levers and E61 machines. 58 mm baskets are tricky, and I keep experimenting with different ones, and I find the majority of 58 baskets not be good. Small baskets (49 in LP, and less than 49 in Zerowatt) are much easier to work with. Shot volume is a limitation though.

58mm baskets are the source of many pro baristas most inspired curses, especially if they are watching a naked pf. There isn't much forgiveness built into them. Now that I think of it this may be why Italians get so heated over their espresso.

49, 51, and 53mm baskets are deep overall and definitely much more forgiving. I personally find the lower volume from levers to be a plus in many ways. I do not like espresso that has cooled too much and the best way for me to keep it from cooling before I can drink it is low volume drinks. The largest coffee cup I own is 12 ounce and that's just for when my partner is over. Most of my cups are 2 to 7 ounce.
Levers may not easily make a triple ristretto or a big gulp latte like an e61 but working within their range can produce some beautiful espressos and cappuccinos, just a bit smaller. And if you find you want another it's pretty quick work to make the next.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110