Lever espresso machine (manual or spring) suggestions with a Mahlkonig K30 grinder?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Bebopr

#1: Post by Bebopr »

Hi Everyone!

I'm John and new to the forum and espresso making in general. I've had my hand with drip coffee setups for years now and want to finally jump into the world of espresso. :D

I've been lurking on the forums for some time now absorbing as much info as I can but I wanted to see what people's opinions were for my first initial purchase.

I'm leaning towards a fully manual or spring lever machine paired with a Mahlkönig K30 (open for other grinders either conical or other in that range though too) and primarily want to make milk drinks for the whole family in the mornings (a couple of lattes, maybe a cap or two) or a good amount for parties (6-8 milk drinks per session) but also have a lot of control to really tweak out just espresso shots for myself and learn the art. Within those parameters, it seems a La Pavoni, Elektra, or other manual lever machines would be written off unless I do some serious modifications or have long wait times.

I'm also leaning for a water reservoir/plumbing combo but would go strictly plumbed and make space in the kitchen for a larger footprint if those machines were really what people think would be the best option (I have a large kitchen and there is a counter I could set up a monster rig on if needed). Same goes with power 220v/110v but I would say 110v would be best.

As for light roast or dark roast, thick/goopy vs. refined/multi-layered shots I don't have a preference yet.

I saved up and my budget would be a little over 3.5-4K USD for the espresso machine. The builds I've really had my eye on are (in order or interest)

Rancilio classe7 Leva 1 Group (I saw something similar at Spella's Caffee in Portland and fell in love)
Londinium L-1P
Bezzera Strega
Ponte Vecchio Lusso
Astoria Gloria AL1
Olympia Cremina

I know that the Rancilio is a commercial machine so maybe that wouldn't be the best one to start out with. As for others, I've seen on the forum somewhere that the Strega might be one of the better ones to start out with since the "sweet spot" is larger and more forgiving when pulling shots?

TIA for any input :)

Beaniac

#2: Post by Beaniac »

You might want to add the profitec pro800 to your shortlist, it suits your demand and is probably the easiest machine to switch from plumb to reservoir and back.
A londinium might be more attractive thanks to current exchange rate though.

CoffeeBar

#3: Post by CoffeeBar »

I've heard people said: Spring lever espresso machines are more consistent than manual machines, as spring lever machines are controlled by spring pressure ( spring pressure set by manufacture around 9 bar, double springs could be more than 9 bar in initial pressure? ) rather then by hands. :D

Séb

#4: Post by Séb »

The L1-P would be my personnal choice from this list. Single spring, higher pre-infusion, great shot quality, nice looking machine, plumb in and out for silent operation.

auvgeek

#5: Post by auvgeek »

L1-P and Monolith conical seems like a killer combo.

Bebopr (original poster)

#6: Post by Bebopr (original poster) »

Sweet! I'll take a more serious look at an L1-P (and Monolith) and the Pro 800!

Thanks for the replies, guys! :D

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

To simplify this a bit, if you are set on an excellent grinder, you're really asking for a choice of lever machine. I suggest reading through the site and its threads on the different machines you're considering since you're not asking anything new. Short answer: If you want to go near the top of the upgrade path a machine with a commercial spring lever group is the way to go.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Bebopr (original poster)

#8: Post by Bebopr (original poster) »

Thanks for showing the crux of the question @drgary. :) I've read through the Strega and Lusso reviews, a smattering of L1-P talk, and the "best of the lever forum" post so I'll go back in again for more info and start pulling apart differences between the machines and on the commercial lever groups. Cheers!

drgary
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary »

I think in the end most commercial spring lever machines will be very good. You may want to consider size of footprint, cost versus your budget, and so on. A large commercial machine may be more than necessary, but there are several good choices of home sized machines with commercial groups.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

peacecup

#10: Post by peacecup »

Or you could just start with the $399 Caravel that redbone is selling in the buy/sell forum. Most users agree that the Caravel is the little machine that could. There is something to be said for downsizing, and no other lever machine (except the Strietman) will gill you such precise control of temperature.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."