Levelling Tamper & Baskets

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Deephaven

#1: Post by Deephaven »

I have a DE1Pro in my cart, but before I hit order I'd like to choose a tamper and baskets as the Decent one is one of my options. From the reviews on here it seems the Decent Tamper is a little small for VST or Pullman baskets leaving some grounds around the edges of the basket. It also looks like the VST baskets have less resistance than the Pullman which are equivalent to the Decents in backpressure. Not knowing what I'll prefer, I'd love to get a levelling tamper that works well with both Pullman and VST baskets.

Tamper options I am shopping are (feel free to add):
Decent V4
Bravo
Normcore 58.5mm
*Force - I am leaving off my list as I don't like how it "pops" at the end of its tamp

Basically I'd like to buy a Tamper and future proof it for baskets. I have the most faith in the Bravo, but would rather pay the Normcore price...but if the quality of the tamp and fit is worth paying more for I would step up.

romlee
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by romlee »

I've had the Decent V4 for nearly year. Yes, it's a little smaller in diameter and leaves some grounds around the sides (I brush or blow them out after I've put the puck screen in). Yes, the 15 pound spring has the kind of feedback that I like. Yes, the anti-stick coating works very well. Yes, it's silent and the action is smooth. Yes, it's very nicely made but seems expensive for what it is and does.

I like it a lot.

If I were in your position, I'd buy a Bravo (or a Force). You're in deep already with the DE1 Pro. If I bought the Decent tamper, I'd wonder afterwards why I didn't buy the Bravo/Force even if I thought it did exactly what Decent said it would.

It's an itch that can't be scratched.
“Be curious, not judgemental.” T. Lasso

Deephaven (original poster)

#3: Post by Deephaven (original poster) »

Ha, that is my concern as well. The most expensive things I've ever owned are the ones I bought and then upgraded leaving the first purchase in a non used state.

DentalBeans

#4: Post by DentalBeans »

I've got an eazy tamp 5 star pro and it's been solid for 3+ years. Would buy it again.

#5: Post by Deephaven (original poster) »

Did you order the eazytamp direct from their website or is there a better place?

Jeff
Team HB

#6: Post by Jeff »

I'd go with a Bravo or The Force

I would not buy DE baskets. For that matter, I'm hard pressed to consider any DE accessory.

#7: Post by Deephaven (original poster) »

Was looking at the tea portafilter as well....but there seems to be the exact same ones on eBay for $45 albeit with a different (and better looking) handle