Leveling tamper - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
boren

#21: Post by boren »

I have the Force tamper and it's probably the my last tamper, as I can't see where it can be improved. With that said, it produces exactly the same result as my previous $30 self-leveling height-adjustable tamper from aliexpress. The only difference that might be worth paying (for some) is that the Force tamper doesn't require one to tamp hard for consistent results. With more basic self-leveling tampers tamping hard is the only way to get consistency (i.e. 10 kilo and 100 kilo tamping would produce the same result, but 1 kilo and 10 kilo tamping would not). What I like most about the Force tamper is that I can just tamp with my fingertips and get consistent results. I don't think I'll ever need to visit an orthopedist to treat 'Barista Wrist' RSI Injury :wink:

Jeff
Team HB

#22: Post by Jeff »

For someone with limited finger/hand/wrist/arm mobility, The Force Tamper seems to be a no-brainer.

I suspect that the top few tampers are all very good and effectively indistinguishable in the cup.

I also suspect that in the hands of an experienced person, an old school "58" would be as well.

Edit: In fairness to all, or maybe just stupidity on my part, I've ordered The Force as well.

BaristaBob

#23: Post by BaristaBob »

Jeff wrote: Edit: In fairness to all, or maybe just stupidity on my part, I've ordered The Force as well.
:shock: Bravo!
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Jeff
Team HB

#24: Post by Jeff replying to BaristaBob »

Well, depending on how that was intended, all of which are positive

Already have a Bravo!

BaristaBob

#25: Post by BaristaBob replying to Jeff »

All positive indeed, the pun was intentional. It was your glowing feedback on the Bravo tamper that prompted me to purchase one, even though I was thoroughly content with my Force tamper. Like them both!!!
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

coffeemania (original poster)

#26: Post by coffeemania (original poster) »

Can't wait to see the feedback from Jeff's purchases.

On paper it appears the Normcore is the value choice considering features/price. Just hard to know how it will "feel" without having one in hand.

When I used to have a "the Force" tamper I ended up using a Barista Hustle tamper more due to feel and size. First world problems I guess..

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#27: Post by Milligan »

Curious to hear Jeff's take on them as well. I used a billet tamper and then a cheap Dailyart spring tamper. I want to upgrade to something that is square with the basket. I tested the spring on it. It is right at 30lbs consistently when the spring gives but it doesn't have a good feel to it. I like the idea of a detent or better feedback like the force gives when it is at it's threshold.

Capuchin Monk

#28: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Milligan wrote:I want to upgrade to something that is square with the basket.
I've been using the two guided tampers and I like the ease of use.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256801 ... 4itemAdapt
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2255800 ... 4itemAdapt

I favor the second one due to lower maintenance (less stray grinds to clean).

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#29: Post by baristainzmking »

Jeff wrote:
Edit: In fairness to all, or maybe just stupidity on my part, I've ordered The Force as well.
Who did you order the force tamper from?
Julia

Jeff
Team HB

#30: Post by Jeff »

Espresso Parts ("EPNW") had them in stock. It arrived today to near San Francisco.