Leveling tamper - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
bgnome

#11: Post by bgnome »

I've got a Normcore V3 that I like, but I designed a 3D printable palm tamper that I have been playing with recently: https://www.printables.com/model/244734 ... sso-tamper

It is sized for my 49mm Zacconi, but can be scaled as needed. At the very least, it is priced well for my liking.

BaristaBob

#12: Post by BaristaBob »

For what it's worth, I own the Force, the Bravo, and a Decent v4. After testing and testing and more testing the Force and the Bravo produced exactly the same flow rates across many different coffees using 18g and 20g VST baskets. Therefore take your pick. I too thought the "punch" produced by the Force tamper might disrupt the puck but based on my experiments it did not.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"
★ Helpful

coffeemania (original poster)

#13: Post by coffeemania (original poster) »

romlee wrote: The Normcore leveling tamper is most similar (Both are non-calibrated and can use springs of different stiffness although only the 15 pound spring is shipped with the Decent V4) to the Decent V4. I purchased and tried both side-by-side and kept the Decent. But, like I said, what do I know.
What was it about the Decent that made you keep it over the Normcore?

#14: Post by coffeemania (original poster) »

BaristaBob wrote:For what it's worth, I own the Force, the Bravo, and a Decent v4. After testing and testing and more testing the Force and the Bravo produced exactly the same flow rates across many different coffees using 18g snd 20g VST baskets. Therefore take your pick. I too thought the "punch" produced by the Force tamper might disrupt the puck but based on my experiments it did not.
That is very interesting to know about the Bravo and the Force. Thanks for sharing.

What was your take on the Decent v4 and did you find issues with tamping the to the edges of the VST basket?

#15: Post by coffeemania (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:FWIW, I decided to find out what all the buzz was around the Eazytamp. I've ordered one, AU$198 to California, or about US$140 at today's exchange rate. There are three different handle options for shape. Unfortunately adding a spare handle also added another AU$26 to the shipping, so I guessed.

Edit: They write "Eazytamp" with a single capital letter. I'll try to remember that from here on out.
Would be interested to read your findings.

I see that they make some interesting claims as well wrt. their different base options here:
Eazytamp FAQ wrote: The infusion base changes the flavour profile of the coffee compared with the flat base. The impressions created on the coffee grind encourage the pre-brewing of coffee at the start of extraction, changing the flavour and acidity of the coffee.

In our own testing, our infusion bases made coffee taste sweeter. The exact effect depends on the type of blend/roast of coffee that is used.
Not sure whether these can be backed up with blind tasting.

Capuchin Monk

#16: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Has Hydroforming tamper been mentioned?
This is the theory behind under it.

BaristaBob

#17: Post by BaristaBob »

coffeemania wrote:That is very interesting to know about the Bravo and the Force. Thanks for sharing.

What was your take on the Decent v4 and did you find issues with tamping the to the edges of the VST basket?
Actually as a correction, I have the Decent v3 (only difference is v3 does not have the anti-stick base), but yes the base is only 58.45mm and for VST baskets this makes a difference. The Force and the Bravo have true 58.5mm bases and therefore tamp all of the grinds to the very edge.
Also, I just found that using a tamper with a set force (Force and Bravo) aided in consistency shot to shot, and even though the Decent is extremely well made, applying an opposing force to the 15lbs. spring means I can over tamp greater than 15lbs. This showed up in my data comparison of tampers with slightly more variability in my pours.
Last...I use my Force tamper over the Bravo simply because the Force makes it so easy to change out the base. My Bravo has the flat base, but I recently replaced the flat base on my Force with the American curve...why, because if La Marzocco says this is best who am I to question them. Actually there is some engineering flow dynamics behind this, but that's a different topic. :wink:
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

romlee
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by romlee »

Pretty much came down to feel of the bulb in my the palm of my hand. The Decent's short shaft in combination with the rounded top was a perfect fit for my small hand. The angular shape and flat top of the Normcore was not. The edges are nicely rounded but I could feel them nonetheless.

The Normcore squeaked a tiny bit during the stroke. I probably would have gotten used to it or lubricated it with Molykote. The Decent was silent then and has remained so during 5 months of everyday use.

They both accomplished the same end purpose. Nice, flat pucks.
“Be curious, not judgemental.” T. Lasso

thecoffeefield

#19: Post by thecoffeefield »

Jeff wrote:That's not what I see here

video
First time I see this video, it makes it very clear so I stand corrected. Regardless, I never had Any issues, channeling included, as a result of the tamper. I actually find it incredibly consistent regardless of the dose or the coffee I use. I just love it, it works flawlessly

Jeff
Team HB

#20: Post by Jeff »

I don't disagree on the end results being very good. I think The Force is one of the most popular tampers among the vocal, "measure everything" crowd.