Lelit Mara X vs. Rocket Espresso Mozzafiato Cronometro R

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
brisk

#1: Post by brisk »

Hi guys,
So I am looking to get an espresso machine to keep me busy during this madness.
I've narrowed it down to these two:
1. Lelit Mara X
2. Rocket Espresso Mozzafiato Cronometro R

I like Lelit's no thinking brew and the SS boiler
I like Rocket's timer and plumb in option. Not a fan of the copper boiler (not sure if that even matters)

So is the Rocket worth couple hundred more than the Lelit, or am I better off saving that for some accessories.
Grinder will be a Niche Zero.

Thank you in advance.

jpsm

#2: Post by jpsm replying to brisk »

Personally not a fan of how the mara x looks so a couple of hundred dollars for an eye candy everyday(or until your machine gives up) is worth it. I know both can pump out awesome espresso but at the end of the day I would like to buy something that is awesome to look at esp if you are gonna use it everyday. Re copper boilers I am not sure about that or if it matters. Rockets look very timeless imo and I see myself owning one in the future :D

Advertisement
skansen

#3: Post by skansen »

jpsm wrote:Personally not a fan of how the mara x looks
Mara was intended as as narrow machine, as possible. And it's really, really narrow - just 22cm (less than 9 inches). As a result it looks a bit peculiarly. Now I'm testing Mara-X and my wife like Mara's appearance...

After last improvements in X model it's easier to maintain proper brew temperature...

brisk (original poster)

#4: Post by brisk (original poster) »

Thank you for the replies.
I guess the only thing that drew me to the Lelit is the no fuss brew according to reviews. Turn on and brew.

I saw WLL's video on the Rocket and they say the PID produces consistent brew temps but I've heard it isn't so?

As for SS boiler, it seems like Rocket does not recommend descaling. I will be using soft water but still would like the option to descale if needed. Thus prefer SS over copper.

brisk (original poster)

#5: Post by brisk (original poster) »

Any users of the Rocket Mozzafiato with PID comment on the cooling flush?

That is the one feature I really like on the Mara X.
And as for look, yes I do prefer the Rocket but only slightly.

Thank you.

drH

#6: Post by drH »

This is a great conversation and I'm in a similar decision situation.

I'm comparing the Rocket Espresso Mozzafiato Cronometro R with the ECM Technika Profi PID,which is a few inches wider but had a stainless boiler.

Does anyone have experience comparing these two machines (maybe to the MaraX as well)?

Frankly among all of these I think the Rocket is most beautiful, but it seems like there are advantages to the stainless boiler, though it's unclear if this shows in the cup.

millmountain

#7: Post by millmountain »

drH wrote:Frankly among all of these I think the Rocket is most beautiful, but it seems like there are advantages to the stainless boiler, though it's unclear if this shows in the cup.
To my understanding, a stainless boiler is more solid than a copper boiler, and copper is more prone to leaching, which is probably eliminated by internal plating with another metal alloy, and to limescale buildup. Both have good temperature stability. So longevity, and it should handle higher pressure or can be more compact for the same pressure rating.

Shouldn't taste a difference in the cup, unless the copper is exposed to the water. See here:
Stainless steel vs. copper boilers