Lelit Bianca or Rocket R nine one? - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
bobbee

#21: Post by bobbee »

I'm just reading this topic in collecting info about the lelit bianca.
I now own a Strega but am thinking about selling it and getting a Bianca instead because of its possibilities and it's time for something new, price vs. It's features and ease of use. So thanks for all info on homebarista forum!
I did a bit of research and tried the Lelit first on world of coffee Amsterdam at the Lelit booth and last october at the vintage espresso machines workshop who is the reseller in The Netherlands. What I want to say is they know this machine and how to control it
I was actually blown away by the espresso I got served there, the way you can play with the paddle is amazing and no electronics at all for that part.
As for the taste of a sutarated group, I think there are actually really few people who can taste the difference if there are any at all and a lot is based on personal experience. I mean, you can tweak everything to get an excellent cup of coffee, and temperature from a pid double boiler E61 machine is as stable as can be, that's a proven fact. Of course a saturated group gives a stable temperature, like KvdW but it's real advantages are only useful in a cafe or espresso bar when you have to pump espresso after espresso all the time.

This is just how I think about it, hope it helps to make the right choice of machine. The Rocket and decent machines are bit in a different price range sonI personally don't consider them at all.

Cheers, Bob

aecletec

#22: Post by aecletec »

Agathorn wrote:That is nice! Hard for someone to 3D-print a pump for example.
I guess it's a bit more risky then buying a Rocket-machine but the reward just might be worth it!
Yeah more risky for sure. But some parts are standard and something like a pump is a cheap part you can get anywhere.
Here's the reference for you Decent Espresso Machine :)

DaveC

#23: Post by DaveC »

It's a bit of a ballache to test and review machines as well as help design them, but after extensive use, testing and reviewing of probably 100+ machines over the years, the experience has left me with a rather different perspective to those who have perhaps owned 4 or 5 machines in total.

I always read these discussions with a great deal of interest.......but rarely if ever feel there is any point commenting.

Suffice to say for the Question of the OP...the smart money would go down on the Bianca.

ShelbiRyan

#24: Post by ShelbiRyan replying to DaveC »

I'm very interested in this comment, what pushes you away from the R9 One? Do you see or notice something mechanically or electronically concerning about it? Or do feel the Bianca is perhaps a more solid and basic design that could be more reliable?

If you don't mind me asking, what makes you reserve comments about machines? I sincerely ask because with your amount of knowledge and experience with testing and designing, I would think your comments could serve a great deal of purpose.

DaveC

#25: Post by DaveC replying to ShelbiRyan »

The Bianca is a simple, solid and basic design that I think will be easier/cheaper to maintain in the long term and should prove quite reliable. It's also super flexible in terms of what it can do. Simple is good.

I reserve comments about machines because of new owner glasses, owner glasses and fanboyism (if that's a word). A lot of people don't technically understand these machines and so getting into any details or criticisms is sort of pointless and soul destroying for me. It's a fact of life that all machines have good and bad points...but something that people don't seem to want to accept. I see magical attributes to certain machines that are underserved, but what's the point of trying to discuss it as you just get shouted down which makes one loose the will to live. I'll give you a few examples:

Certain makes of grinder - why do people still buy them and then continue to say how great they are? Machines that shall remain nameless (because it's not fair on the manufacturers) where I am testing and think, is this the same machine they saw, or some terrible roasters (one which caught fire) being raved about.

There will always be owners and often they valiantly defend their purchase....to the exclusion of all faults. Sometimes a bad experience can equally dog a device that has been fixed, at least in certain markets. One example of this would be a Roaster I tested and had the manufacturer redesign (because it didn't work right). Oddly enough it had already been through their own internal design but still didn't work right. It's now become a very good selling 1kg roaster in the UK at an excellent price, I even bought one myself. The manufacturer has actually moved from a custom roaster for the UK to making that the standardised design worldwide...but I still see the odd post now and again on forums where this particular roaster is put down...even though the design has changed twice from the one they are talking about and is a completely different beast. Arguing the toss with them would also be pointless.

ShelbiRyan

#26: Post by ShelbiRyan replying to DaveC »

I can agree with this. I do see a lot of these situations take place. And there are always the new owner reviews, which are mostly people in the honey moon faze of their new machine. So yes, many opinions are biased. I guess a person has to try see through the rubbish. But there are some very well thought out and honest reviews as well. So I guess it's about finding the balance, and most of all the facts.

DaveC

#27: Post by DaveC replying to ShelbiRyan »

Sure I completely agree, unfortunately for the inexperienced this is difficult and they can be overwhelmed with opinions. let's face it the main reason a lot of people come on to a forum is to see what they should buy....and my god do they get opinions (which are like bumholes) everyones got one, how on earth can they sift the wheat from the chaff.

I do comment, or sometimes PM, but mainly where I am commenting on people opinions I can respect, or who I know balance knowledge with fairness and impartiality e.g Dan, the Jims and quite a few others. In the main I actually find US people (especially on forums), tend to be more handy and do some DIY stuff that quite frankly amazes me. I suppose I shouldn't be amazed, because look how far you have come, built the greatest nation on earth in in just over 300 years....If you put your minds to building espresso machines, I am sure the Italians might be out of business....although we probably wouldn't get those machines to fit in the average European kitchen. ;)

I am a Brit and it's tricky sometimes feeding back on a US forum...often I feel I don't really have the "right" to give feedback...

P.S. I do think your electrical systems voltage, plug and sockets n stuff are crap....well apart from the 60Hz bit which is rather good. ;)

P.P.S Oh and I really do get American humour, like it in fact, but I don't know if you get our Humour 100%...perhaps?

Lowellw2

#28: Post by Lowellw2 »

"... and my god do they get opinions (which are like bumholes) everyones got one, how on earth can they sift the wheat from the chaff."

Absolutely made my day with this wonderful bit of wisdom and wit.

ShelbiRyan

#29: Post by ShelbiRyan »

DaveC wrote:how on earth can they sift the wheat from the chaff.

In the main I actually find US people (especially on forums), tend to be more handy and do some DIY stuff that quite frankly amazes me. I suppose I shouldn't be amazed, because look how far you have come, built the greatest nation on earth in in just over 300 years....If you put your minds to building espresso machines, I am sure the Italians might be out of business....although we probably wouldn't get those machines to fit in the average European kitchen. ;)

I am a Brit and it's tricky sometimes feeding back on a US forum...often I feel I don't really have the "right" to give feedback...

P.S. I do think your electrical systems voltage, plug and sockets n stuff are crap....well apart from the 60Hz bit which is rather good.

P.P.S Oh and I really do get American humour, like it in fact, but I don't know if you get our Humour 100%...perhaps?
Well I'm a Canadian grain farmer, so to separate the grain from the chaff....I can easily use my John Deere combines. Unfortunately they don't make espresso machines :D

As for the humour? I like to think I get it all. Or I at least pretend too. 8)

Agathorn (original poster)

#30: Post by Agathorn (original poster) »

DaveC wrote:It's a bit of a ballache to test and review machines as well as help design them, but after extensive use, testing and reviewing of probably 100+ machines over the years, the experience has left me with a rather different perspective to those who have perhaps owned 4 or 5 machines in total.

I always read these discussions with a great deal of interest.......but rarely if ever feel there is any point commenting.

Suffice to say for the Question of the OP...the smart money would go down on the Bianca.
I know the smart choice would be the Bianca but I also like the Rocket. Do you consider the flow profiling to be better or equal on the Bianca then to the R nine one? On paper...
R nine one has pressure profiling and perhaps a less direct/responsive impact on the shot when adjusting compared to the Bianca? A purchase like this has to feal good as well as make sense. But if the Rocket R Nine One is clearly inferior to the Bianca I guess I'll go with the Bianca in the end.