Lelit Bianca - grinder pairing and other questions - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
pwhinson

#11: Post by pwhinson »

Drift wrote:Just to make sure you're aware, the Bianca doesn't really have automatic pre-infusion. It turns the pump on at full pressure for a bit, then turns it off to let the water penetrate the puck. I don't really consider this preinfusion. It won't evenly distribute water through the puck, and it might even damage it due to the high pressure used.
Forgive my late appearance in this discussion but I don't see much difference here but I'm a newbie so go easy on me. If you run the pump only briefly aren't you really just pressurizing the puck to whatever pressure you'd like based on the pressure reading at the gauge on the brewhead, then holding that pressure as the water slowly penetrates the puck, before turning the pump back on? Couldn't you preinfuse a "favorite way" preserving the number of seconds on and the number of second off prior to the start of the extraction, then when the pump comes back on continue with the shot profiling in whatever manner you'd like via the paddle?

ALSO, earlier it was said that this "version" of preinfusion is independent of the position the needle valve is at but in the same statement it was said the needle valve will (rather obviously) restrict the flow based on where the paddle is. Which is it? I see the argument regarding why you might just disable the automatic preinfusion and accomplish the same thing with the flow control paddle if you're going to be using flow control for the rest of the shot. But it would also seem that the "pump" coming on at full bore doesn't have to damage the puck as it was suggested because you could take that into consideration with the flow control setting, i.e. with the flow control paddle set to a moderate level the flow control would limit the pressure at the puck regardless of how long the pump is running. Again, go easy on me, newbie here. Thanks.

Drift

#12: Post by Drift »

Apologies for the super delayed response!
pwhinson wrote:If you run the pump only briefly aren't you really just pressurizing the puck to whatever pressure you'd like based on the pressure reading at the gauge on the brewhead, then holding that pressure as the water slowly penetrates the puck
Yes, you would be pressurizing the puck, however generally people like to pre-infuse for an extended time. Even if you just wanted to go for 10 seconds, you do need to maintain some flow to keep pressure up, otherwise it'll just drop off and most of your penetration will just be through absorption. So, you are correct, but it's limiting what you're able to achieve, and it's unlikely to evenly penetrate the entire puck.
pwhinson wrote:ALSO, earlier it was said that this "version" of preinfusion is independent of the position the needle valve is at but in the same statement it was said the needle valve will (rather obviously) restrict the flow based on where the paddle is. Which is it
I think the confusion came from the idea that the Bianca is somehow 'electronically' controlling pre-infusion pressure. It isn't, it's just engaging the pump for a pre-determined number of seconds. The needle valve is between the pump and the group head, so it'll just run at whatever flow the needle valve allows.

You are correct that you could just set the flow lower to avoid damaging the puck during this pre-infuse phase, and then increase it after. However, if you're doing that anyway, again, why bother with the automatic pre-infusion? Just do exactly the same thing, start low, then use the paddle to increase pressure and keep the pump engaged the whole time. It's literally the same effort, you're just getting proper active pre-infusion.

The only application I can see for the automatic pre-infusion is so that you can walk away and let the shot pull itself, which you can't do on an e61 anyway as you need to manually stop the shot, in which case since you have to stand there anyway, you may as well use the paddle to manually pre-infuse.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zoobru

#13: Post by Zoobru »

Lelit instructions say do not use the preinfusion if you are going to use the paddle. I only use the paddle now and only used the preinfusion once so I don't remember if it's just plumbed in water pressure or the pump went on. Plumbed or not may make that difference.
Sette 270Wi is a fabulous grinder and it has never missed its target grind weight. It was under 500. Highly recommend.

I love the Bianca. It's gorgeous with the wood accents, polished chrome and included naked PF AND a really really nice polished steel tamper.
Even if I miss the grind or tamp, I get a better cup than my old S1. Bianca is not volumetric, manual lever with only shot timer but I'm ok with that.
Great choice for your new digs.
You can plumb or not. Plumbing was dead easy too. Make sure to get an inline filter for it if your water is not soft and you plumb it.

Enjoy !
Sj