Lateral Move from HG-1

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
IntrepidQ3

#1: Post by IntrepidQ3 »

I have been using my HG1 for the last four years. No regrets, great grinder, but manual grinding is starting to not fit into my routine anymore.

I'm looking for an electric grinder that produces about the same quality, I'm willing to sacrifice a bit here... I know that the burrs set is a steal at the HG1 cost point.

I like to single dose. I would prefer doserless, as I'm looking for minimal fuss. Budget is $900.00

Kind of been eyeing a Macap M4 or a used Mazzer Mini. I also noticed a nice used Compak K10 in budget. I know the k10 has a dozer, but I heard it might be worth a little fuss.

Any thoughts, guidance, other options to look into would be appreciated!
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud

leozava
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by leozava »

There is a motor kit being offered for the hg-1, have you considered that??

IntrepidQ3 (original poster)

#3: Post by IntrepidQ3 (original poster) replying to leozava »

I have, but I plan on selling the HG1 to fund the lateral move. The motor unfortunately is way above the budget with out selling the HG1. :?
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud

Markant

#4: Post by Markant »

Maybe you should just wait a little bit: Niche Zero grinder is almost ready to be sent to Idiegogo customers. If it performs well, it will be an interesting single dose grinder, for just £500.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

IntrepidQ3 wrote:I like to single dose. I would prefer doserless, as I'm looking for minimal fuss. Budget is $900.00

Kind of been eyeing a Macap M4 or a used Mazzer Mini. I also noticed a nice used Compak K10 in budget. I know the k10 has a dozer, but I heard it might be worth a little fuss.

Any thoughts, guidance, other options to look into would be appreciated!
Having owned an HG1 I'd consider the K10 a step up & your other 2 options a step backwards. Don't worry about the doser as it's actually a plus on the K10. Just mod the chute & single dose.
LMWDP 267

#6: Post by IntrepidQ3 (original poster) replying to JohnB. »

Thanks for the input. Any other grinders worth looking into that have not been mentioned.

trumz

#7: Post by trumz »

There are two K10's in the buy/sell forum...

#8: Post by IntrepidQ3 (original poster) replying to trumz »

Thanks for letting me know. I'm not fully sold on it yet. I did a deep dive today on the mod that was mentioned earlier. I'm looking for less fuss. The routine of sweeping, bumping, and thwacking for single dosing for the k10 feels like I am just swapping the hg1 routine for a different just as time consuming routine for the k10.

Any more grinder suggestions would be appreciated.

leozava
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by leozava »

What about a sette?? Any "dedicated" single dose grinders are going to be a bit out of your price range. That's why I still think motorizing your hg-1 is your best bet. There are other ways of doing it, many have had good results with a kitchen aid motor.

Eastsideloco

#10: Post by Eastsideloco »

You can also get a Baratza Forte at this price point. I bought my HG-One used. The seller's other grinder was a Forte.