Large capacity drip coffee

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
bgn

#1: Post by bgn »

I don't own a drip machine. I have a large espresso machine for personal use with friends and family. But, there are times when hosting parties that it's not convenient to excuse myself for 20 minutes to make a half dozen espressos. I have a hario pour over which will make a few cups and is often enough for a dinner party when some of the people don't drink coffee. But I have need several times a year to make a lot of coffee for dozens of people in my home. Even a large 15 cup Technivorm would be too small. I know that for $50 I can get a urn that will do 60-100 cups. But I don't like it and would stil like the quality of my home roasts to be evident in the flavour. Are there newco, bunn or other companies that sell commercial equipment that can be brought home, that is, 110V, pour over design, with air pots?

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

This is a pretty clever method for large airpots if you're willing to do some work.

Brewing ideas you've stolen from the pros?
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

aecletec

#3: Post by aecletec »

Not quite understanding what he did as I've not used that equipment, did he make his own shower screen and poured over the top of that onto a basket that fits on an airpot?
Thanks

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC replying to aecletec »

I believe he'd pour straight off the boil from that massive kettle for the initial agitation and thorough wetting, directly onto the coffee bed, then slow pour over a perforated plate for the remainder of the extraction.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

aecletec

#5: Post by aecletec »

Thanks Tom!

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by pizzaman383 »

Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

I agree with Curtis that the Bunn VPR airpot brewer would be a good way to go. Awhile back I was getting ready to set up better coffee gear for my workplace and found its cousin on Craigslist for $75. I cleaned it up and it was easy to use. The possible drawback is this isn't a brewer you'll use for light, acidic roasts. If I remember correctly it brews at about 190°F, but you can call them or call Bunn to find out. Mine had an adjustable thermostat, but it wasn't easy to get to, because these are really designed to be at a work break room.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by pizzaman383 »

I rebuilt one for my wife's company. They are well designed and should last basically forever. The most important point for good tasting coffee is to NOT pour the water in using the same vessel into which you brew the coffee. That will pollute the boiler and will add off-putting "notes" to the coffee.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

russel

#9: Post by russel »

The Fetco batch brewers that I've had were all 110/220 switchable. I hate having to hold a reference guide in one hand while trying to set brew papameter, so I preffer the XTS line. They aren't sized or priced as consumer equipment, but some will run off of 15A/110v lines. A Cutis Gold Cup might also work for you, but it would require attention while brewing.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

Coffeecityzen

#10: Post by Coffeecityzen »

I would buy one of these and just make as many pots as you need. You could even buy a airport to fill.
https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/techn ... hed-silver