La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II - would you purchase again?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
dcupstateNY

#1: Post by dcupstateNY »

I did a search but could not find an "Owners' Thread", hence, this post. I'm seriously looking to purchase this machine, so I'm seeking input from any current owners i.e., functionality, build quality, features, ease of operation, would you purchase again? etc., etc. I'm also looking to purchase a grinder that would compliment this machine. I own the Pharos, and will be single dosing with it. But, I also want something that will "automate" the process, when needed. Thinking about the Baratza Vario, Forte AP, and Mazzer Mini E Type B, as possible contenders. Why these; short grind path and grind quality with the Baratzas ... large burrs, dosser-less and robust build with the mini.
Ciao,
Dave

LMWDP: #346

JmanEspresso

#2: Post by JmanEspresso »

You will want to check out the S1cafe.com website. Forum dedicated to the Vivaldi machines. Even though its not as active as it once was, the information remains.

I had a Vivaldi II for a good while, it was a great machine. Mine was the plumbed in version, with the bigger steam boiler, but for all intents and purposes, the two machines operate very similarly. The steam is dry and powerful, its easy to learn how the machine likes to be used, warm up time is arguably shorter than an E61 machine because there is less mass of metal to heat up, the machine recovers plenty quick in 15amp mode for home use, and should you opt for 20amp, you'll never wait on the machine, even during dinner parties.

Its been around for a while, its certainly proven itself as good machine. I often said when I owned it, if it didnt have that weird sized grouphead/pf, 53mm instead of the usual 58mm, then it would probably be even more popular that it already is.

Truth be told, I did eventually get tired of the 53mm baskets and the dosing idiosyncrasies that go along with a much deeper portafilter basket. But, to be fair, I didn't notice it as much until I got another machine that was 58mm.. the whole time I had the Vivaldi II, I just used it. I ended up selling it because at the time, I needed to have a machine with a reservoir.

When I had the choice to buy another one, or get a different dual boiler.. I chose a different dual boiler. The Vivaldi II IS a solid machine, it served me well, and I had no regrets about buying it. I AM happier with my Alex Duetto overall though. The machine appeals to me more.

As for a grinder, the Baratza Vario is the one I would choose out of what you listed. I would also like to say that, if you can up the grinder budget to something like $1000-$1400, you will be rewarded. A grinder like the Mazzer Major or Compak K10, will really allow the Vivaldi II Mini, or any other Dual Boiler, to really shine.

edit- Im sorry, I forgot you said you had a Pharos. While the whole Hand Grinder as a Main Grinder thing isn't for me(though I'll use my PeDe from time to time for fun), the Pharos is a great grinder.

joanes

#3: Post by joanes »

Hi
I've had a mini vivaldi II until about 4 months ago, had a vario, and had a mazzer mini.

The vivaldi really is pleasant to use. There is a review of it on the website, which was really good, and got me to buy it. There is also a dedicated Spaziale forum (http://s1cafe.com/), which has a lot of dedicated resources.

What like with the vivaldi was:
- easy of use, volumetric dosing, nice (but costly) external timer, great steam.

What I didn't like was the look of it. But then I added wood plannels, LED lights, and it just looked wonderful

I never really got to make superb shots out of it, but I was told it is rather a skill thing than an equipment thing (isn't always the case anyway?).
I would recommend it. It usually goes for a nice price, a bit less than the other double boilers. I sold mine, 2.5 years old, for 55% of the price, so even if you want to change later, chances are you can sell this machine easily.

When it comes to the grinder, I really didn't like the mazzer mini (I had the A version). I single dosed, and it was just not made for it. And I never got round to not-single dosing, because it is an awful waste for the home not to single dose. The chute gets clogged with old grounds, and it really isn't easy to clean, unless you remove the sieve between the chute and the funnel, but then you get clumpy coffee.
The Vario was nice. It is actually one piece of equipment I could get back to, if I was to downgrade my tools. Some have a few quirks, like slipping grind settings. I'm not sure if that was corrected and still holds true. In my opinion, best ratio quality/price.

The S1 and Vario are a good pick in my opinion. (and if you get bad shots, remember it is most likely to be because of the user rather than the machine, had I remembered this, I would still have the S1 and vario, and a bit more money in bank account).

Cheers

Abnuceals

#4: Post by Abnuceals »

Hi, I have my Mini since three years. I would buy another one in a heartbeat ( I also have my MCAL mistress... ). But I wouldn't buy a Dream machine since I am not sure that infancy problems are completely solved. If it had been possible, I would have chose the plumbed version of the Vivaldi, but except for the vibrating pump they are similar.
LMWDP 389

arcus

#5: Post by arcus »

I had a Vivaldi II and I thought it was a great machine. The only things that bugged me were the plastic pieces, the bearing issue that eventually crops up and the fact that it didn't feel as solid as my previous machine (Quickmill Vetrano).

joanes

#6: Post by joanes »

Looks like the L1 is the upgrade of choice for 2/3 of the posters who have moved on from the S1

BB Huell

#7: Post by BB Huell »

I have owned the VII for a little over 3 years now. I have been very happy with it and have not experienced upgraditis yet - which is unusual for me. My machine has been a solid performer - the few minor issues encountered have been solved by myself with the assistance of the folks at Chris' Coffee over the telephone.

I drink 60% cappuccinos, 25% espresso and 15% americanos. I use it every day for 2 - 4 drinks with rarely more than two drinks at a time. I run it off a flo-jet and 5 gallon water jug in the 15 amp mode. For my use recovery time is excellent and has not been an issue.

I roast my own espresso blends (pre-blended by Mr. Green Beans, Sweet Marias or of my own blend) and use Stumptown Hair Bender. I rarely use SOs. I use a naked triple and typically use 20 - 24 grams of coffee. I am happy with the body, mouth feel and taste of the espresso I make with the VII.

Would I buy it again? Yes. Will I keep it forever? Humm...., hard to tell. At some point the upgraditis may eventually catch up to me. Right now the only machine that might be an upgraditis candidate for me would be the LM GS3 and it is quite a bit more expensive.

I took my time researching espresso machines and really defined my needs and wants - the VII was then and is right now the right machine for me.

dcupstateNY (original poster)

#8: Post by dcupstateNY (original poster) »

To one and all ... thanks for your replies/input. I truly appreciate it! The Mini peaked my interest because: smallish footprint, double boiler, large reservoir that can be removed from the front (will be located on the counter-top beneath cabinets, so this feature was a major contributor ... hated the thought of dragging a machine out every time to fill the reservoir), and lastly , I actually like its contemporary/commercial like look as opposed to all the other SS behemoths out there :shock:
Ciao,
Dave

LMWDP: #346

jfrescki

#9: Post by jfrescki »

I bought my Mini used two years ago from someone going to a GS3. He wasn't sure he really even wanted to make the switch. I bought the machine for the same reasons you mention except
dcupstateNY wrote: smallish footprint

It is definitely not a small machine, especially since it's as wide as it's deep. I think the Vivaldi excels at allowing you to walk up and pull great shot after great shot without a fuss. I would buy it again. The only change for me would be to try a lever like the Strega or Londinium, I don't think I'll ever go to another double boiler. My one concern is the 53mm group does limit you a bit. If you want to updose, keep in mind that the smaller thicker puck makes higher doses a bit harder (IMHO). Most Vivaldi owners end up dosing between about 15g -16g for most coffees because that's where the machine likes to be. Not that it matters at all, but the group tends to leave you with wet pucks, just so you know.

EDIT: Also, I suggest immediately adding the following lights Ikea Dioder. It's such a simple addition, but makes a huge difference. All you're doing is sticking the lights next to the group and running the wire down through the body of the machine and out the bottom. A lot of owners have done it.
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Italyhound »

I had a V2 for about 7 years before I got my GS/3 and was very very pleased with it. Also, dealing with Chris Coffee is a major plus of ownership. I got my GS/3 from them as well.