La Pavoni Professional + Comandante C40 - Yes or No?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
ariberco

#1: Post by ariberco »

Hello,

I recently bought a La Pavoni Professional (model 2020), and in my first test with a coffee that I bought ground from a local store here in Rome (Castroni - for those who know Rome), I have what it seems to be symptoms of a unsuitable coffee, meaning: The espresso is too liquid, almost no froth at all, and the lever goes down without resistance.

So after reading around, I understand that the next step is to buy a grinder. I would like to buy one that gives a full solution for the problem, if possible, with a budget of 250 euro tops. Now the question: There are any hand grinders are recommended specifically for La Pavoni Professional inside this budget? And specifically, is the Comandante C40 suitable?

Thanks in advance (and I apologize for my english)!

Ariel

guijan12

#2: Post by guijan12 »

Welcome to the forum.
I have no experience with the commandante, but according to this post it is not right for espresso

Manual grinder: Kinu M47 vs. Comandante C40 Nitro Blade

Try to increase your budget a bit for a Kinu.
Tough decision, but such a nice machine needs a perfect grinder to match with.
Regards,

Guido

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

The C40 with the RedClix has been reported as being suitable for espresso by many people from manual levers to high-end machines (people had some interesting combinations when quarantined for a couple weeks). I'd agree that without the RedClix that dialing in is more of a challenge.

There are several "espresso-capable" grinders out there now. It seems as though among the leading contenders a lot comes down the price, ergonomics, and your work flow.

Strifer

#4: Post by Strifer »

The Comandante works fine for espresso. My friend was using it with the Europiccola for a short time period and then was still using it with his next machine until he bought a different grinder. However, he also had the red clix add on which allows for finer stepped adjustments. This may push it past your budget. I have heard the red clix is not required since you can still get acceptable results for espresso (but could be harder to dial in).

Other options for hand grinders that I can think of are: Apollo, Kinu, Lido E, 1Z JX. In the past, I used the Lido E with my Europiccola and it does a good job (and is stepless).

ojt

#5: Post by ojt »

I'm sure the Comandante is a good grinder but you
have to accept the fact that you might have to change dose some times because the adjustments of the grinder are a bit wide. I prefer the idea of Kinu (stepless) or Apollo with the new finer thread because I like small adjustments. Kinu Simplicity is around 270 plus shipping IIRC. Apollo will be more I think. The comandante will work just fine but you might get into trouble with light roast.. perhaps.

Personally I would still choose the Kinu M47 right now. My next step up will be a seriously more expensive electric grinder.
Osku

ariberco (original poster)

#6: Post by ariberco (original poster) »

Thank you all for your kind answers and insights. I'll take your recommendations, and go for a Kinu.

ojt

#7: Post by ojt »

If you go with Kinu I would go straight for the Simplicity model at least, the construction is so much better. But if possible try and find the Commandante at some local shop to try your hands on it. It is a very good grinder. Perhaps the Comandate grinds a bit more unimodally, narrower grind particle distribution. Not an easy choice :)
Osku

ariberco (original poster)

#8: Post by ariberco (original poster) »

Hi, so I took your recommendations, and the Kinu m47 Simplicity has just arrived. So I'm advancing step by step, and here are some new questions:

1. Recommended grinding setting for espresso (La Pavoni Proffesional).

2. Recommended group head temperature?

3. Any other tips to improve crema?

Thanks you so much,

Ariel

jevenator

#9: Post by jevenator »

1) No one can really tell you what grind setting you will need for your machine. What may work for me, will not work for you because of different beans and equipment and a model La Pavoni would only get you into a very rough ball park...You'll learn by feel what is considered an espresso grind. That's the beauty of a hand grinder IMO that you know approximately if you are in the correct range. Try something like 3 full rotations out and adjust up/down from there. I'm assuming that the steps are similar between the Kinu ranges. (I have the Traveler).

2) Someone with a Pavoni should comment here about that. Just release any false pressure buildup if that's a thing for your machine when it's heating up.

3) There's plenty of discussions on crema and most being that is usually not something desirable because of the bitter flavors that it posses and so I would say that you should have a fresh roast (5 days - 3 weeks old) and concern yourself about how it tastes and not how the crema looks.

As long as you have fresh coffee that you enjoy, you can make delicious espresso with the gear that you have.

ojt

#10: Post by ojt »

1) As Jevenator said

2) Depends on coffee but start at 85 and then adjust to taste

3) Again as above by Jevenator but right temperature for the coffee and a good pressure help. Don't go hulk on the poor lever, something like 7-8 bar is good. If crema and body is what you're after buy very fresh coffee, perhaps with a bit of Robusta, go high on the dose using the triple filter. But yeah, crema doesn't taste good.
Osku