La Pavoni premill or La Peppina or Caravel for one and half shot?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
boklos

#1: Post by boklos »

right now i'm using flair classic 40mm basket and it is working well, my favorite dose is 11-12g of medium roast SO or blend, what lever machine/basket will be an upgrade?
i have a DF64 SSP HU grinder.

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

What do you not like about the Flair, if anything?

What are you looking to improve or change?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

Just looking at the machines you listed the La Pavoni gets you the ability to steam milk so that could be an upgrade if you prepare milk drinks. You should be able to use at least 16 grams of coffee which could give you a larger shot. The shot quality is probably similar.

The La Peppina has a 45 mm basket, not much bigger than the one your using, and you should be able to use at least 14 grams of coffee in the basket, sometimes more. It's also a spring lever instead of a manual which could be a nice change. The spring is not that strong so you will get a shot with clarity and flavor separation over a thick shot with more crema. You can assist the lever on the La Peppina.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

For a look into extreme La Peppina shots, see What Else Tastes Like a Peppina? where coffee.me put a pressure gauge on the front of the group and loaded the 45 mm basket with up to 22 grams of coffee. I never mounted a pressure gauge, but I did go up to 19 or 20 grams of a dense coffee for some thick shots in years past.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272