La Pavoni Europiccola 1979 on eBay accidental purchase

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
vinodism

#1: Post by vinodism »

Hello Guys
I was checking on ebay to get hands on a lapavoni, this one i found looked a great deal for around 250 dollars 110 v and 1979 made, the pictures of boiler insides and below drip tray is not there and i made an accidental purchase on the item from my phone ( pocket buy instead) . Now I want you folks to help me if this is a good deal or should I request cancellation as i have time of one hour to cancel the purchase. i have already asked the seller on sending pictures of boiler internal and behind the drip tray ( before making the purchase)
Please tell what else I could check , i thought of now getting bit of heads up before the seller reply and i send a cancellation request if he doesnt, I think I have 40 mins left for doing that

Thanks
Vinod

LObin

#2: Post by LObin »

If there's enough time, I would ask him if he can remove the drip tray bolt and take a picture of inside the base to check for signs of leaks and rust.

It's a good price though so don't beat yourself up. Did he say if it heats up and holds pressure?
LMWDP #592

vinodism (original poster)

#3: Post by vinodism (original poster) »

The seller havent replied yet , but in the listing he have mentioned gently used.

nk

#4: Post by nk »

It looks complete as far as used machines gone. There was no drip tray insert on those.
If the heating element works, that's not a terrible price.

#5: Post by vinodism (original poster) replying to nk »

It was listed as working item on ebay so I guess heating element should be working.
Do you know if these had steel or aluminum base ?

sweaner

#6: Post by sweaner »

That appears to be a good buy. If you don't like it I am sure that you could sell it here!
Scott
LMWDP #248

forbeskm

#7: Post by forbeskm »

250 is a good deal, that looks like a clean machine, all the parts are there. People are usually asking 3-400 for these as of late. Descale vinegar and water, new seals from Orphan Espresso, get some dow 111 while you are at it and should be good to go.

#8: Post by vinodism (original poster) »

Thanks you I got reply from seller and everything is working now the question is what else should I get i read something about a mod for overheating ? And how helpful are temperature strips ? Would Bottomless portafilter help in the learning curve ?

LObin

#9: Post by LObin »

MY "must haves" for any Europiccola:
1. Good seals and dow 111.
2. Bottomless portafilter.
3. Proper tamper.
4. A temp strip.
5. A bigger double basket (McCal, Strietman or check ebay for 14g that comes with the bottomless PF)

In any particular order.

*It seems your machine might be missing the plastic drip tray.

** The V2.2 models is the last one with the metal base (no tray screw). I love the 200-800 heating element. I find it gives you better temp control over the later model with pstats.
LMWDP #592

forbeskm

#10: Post by forbeskm »

vinodism wrote:Thanks you I got reply from seller and everything is working now the question is what else should I get i read something about a mod for overheating ? And how helpful are temperature strips ? Would Bottomless portafilter help in the learning curve ?
Heat control mod for 2nd Generation La Pavoni Levers Is the easy hot water mod, it makes the temp stability much better. Reversing it back to stock just requires a new dipper tube.

A good 49 mm tamper, I like OE's stubby flat, but get what you like as everyone likes something different. I also like the OE funnel.

Bottomless is nice but not required. You can also drill your own out. It may be required depending on the portafilter to fit an Elektra double basket which I can get between 16 and. 17.5 grams into, Stefano's espresso care carries them for like ten bucks.

Without the temp mod the temp strips are critical, those gen two's heat up hot and fast. Once you get used to the machine, not so much.

Rules of the la Pavoni.
1. Everything shiny will burn you.
2. Never open the boiler until cool.
3. Don't remove portafilter immediately after shot as it will sneeze and can burn you. (goes also for if you grind to fine and can pull lever down, let it cool then remove the portafilter)