La Marzocco portafilter in Rancilio Silvia

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
zaibzaib12

#1: Post by zaibzaib12 »

Hello,

Sorry if it has been discussed before but I tried searching and did not find a recent answer on this. There is so much conflicting opinions online about this question:

Can you use a La Marzocco inclined portafilter on a Rancilio Silvia M without any modifications?

Thanks Again

al3xx

#2: Post by al3xx »

Probably. I have a Silvia but it's in storage so can't try for you right now. But I have fit Pesado LM-fit portafilters into the Silvia in the past. It works, but it doesn't fit that great - there is a tight spot somewhere so it doesn't lock in as smoothly as you might like.

Anything wrong with, say, a Rancilio bottomless triple PF? The new ones I've found are about as ergonomic and nicely made as any other brand.

zaibzaib12 (original poster)

#3: Post by zaibzaib12 (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply.

Primarily it was because LM portafilters are 15 degree inclined and I read somewhere that it pulls a better shot as well.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

The basket can certainly affect the extraction, but the portafilter? OK, there's prior discussions of bottomless vs. spouted differences in texture, but I'm skeptical that there's any taste difference between a La Marzocco and Rancilio portafilter.

For what it's worth, the Rancilio portafilter isn't as heavy as the La Marzocco, but otherwise it's very nicely finished and obviously has a perfect fit for Rancilio espresso machines. If you're concerned about tamping angle, get a tamp stand (or make one yourself out of a PVC fitting for less than $1).
Dan Kehn

al3xx

#5: Post by al3xx »

zaibzaib12 wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Primarily it was because LM portafilters are 15 degree inclined and I read somewhere that it pulls a better shot as well.
From Prima Coffee, you can get a Rancilio bottomless for $75. LM bottomless is $110. I can tell you that the metal part of the portafilter is better finished on the Rancilio, and it is very ergonomically pleasing. It has somewhere around a 10 degree angle to the handle.

I've owned $150 portafilters that are finished more poorly and suck to hold in the hand. You really can't do better for the price, and it comes with a pretty nice triple basket.

If you're looking at pulling better shots, there are many other mods that can improve your shot quality significantly:
- Better water
- Better grinder
- Precision baskets
- PID
- WDT (free!)
- Better dose/tamp technique
- Learning to dial in better (also free!)

ben8jam

#6: Post by ben8jam »

zaibzaib12 wrote:Hello,

Sorry if it has been discussed before but I tried searching and did not find a recent answer on this. There is so much conflicting opinions online about this question:

Can you use a La Marzocco inclined portafilter on a Rancilio Silvia M without any modifications?

Thanks Again
I just tried my normal LM porta filter in my RS v3 and it just about fit. Though I did not tighten it all the way because the Silvia has been sitting a while. I also tried the bottom less LM porta filter but the lug nuts were just too large to fit in the slot.

Hope that helps.

zaibzaib12 (original poster)

#7: Post by zaibzaib12 (original poster) »

Thanks everyone. You guys Rock :D