La Marzocco Linea PB vs. Kees Speedster

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Ringomcd

#1: Post by Ringomcd »

Not sure if a thread like this has been explored so apologies up front if it already has. We're in the middle of building a detached shop/garage/bar and it will be complete with coffee shop. We already have a 2 group linea PB, which will be overkill for our garage setup (it was acquired from a restaurant that has closed. Machine has been maintained and in great condition) - we always have friends and family over for coffee and it will get used but not to the extent the machine is built. We also have a GS/3 in our house and we've debated just swapping locations or getting rid of it all together. Lastly, I've got an acquaintance with a year old Kees Speedster. He is interested in trading his machine plus some cash for the PB - he could use the extra capacity the PB could facilitate.

I'm very familiar with LM machines having had one for the past 10 years and although they've been very good to us I like the idea of changing things up with the KVW. I don't have much experience with them other than seeing them in the occasional shop. Any KVW users out there that can chime in on their experience using the machine? Happy to hear any suggestions or spears on the direction we're going. Thanks in advance, I really have enjoyed reading everyone's perspective in the group.

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Ringomcd wrote:We already have a 2 group linea PB, which will be overkill for our garage setup (it was acquired from a restaurant that has closed. Machine has been maintained and in great condition) - we always have friends and family over for coffee and it will get used but not to the extent the machine is built. We also have a GS/3 in our house and we've debated just swapping locations or getting rid of it all together. Lastly, I've got an acquaintance with a year old Kees Speedster. He is interested in trading his machine plus some cash for the PB - he could use the extra capacity the PB could facilitate.

A 1-year old Speedster and some cash - I'd take that deal in a heart beat!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

jpsm

#3: Post by jpsm »

Ringomcd wrote:Not sure if a thread like this has been explored so apologies up front if it already has. We're in the middle of building a detached shop/garage/bar and it will be complete with coffee shop. We already have a 2 group linea PB, which will be overkill for our garage setup (it was acquired from a restaurant that has closed. Machine has been maintained and in great condition) - we always have friends and family over for coffee and it will get used but not to the extent the machine is built. We also have a GS/3 in our house and we've debated just swapping locations or getting rid of it all together. Lastly, I've got an acquaintance with a year old Kees Speedster. He is interested in trading his machine plus some cash for the PB - he could use the extra capacity the PB could facilitate.

I'm very familiar with LM machines having had one for the past 10 years and although they've been very good to us I like the idea of changing things up with the KVW. I don't have much experience with them other than seeing them in the occasional shop. Any KVW users out there that can chime in on their experience using the machine? Happy to hear any suggestions or spears on the direction we're going. Thanks in advance, I really have enjoyed reading everyone's perspective in the group.
I would not trade unless of course you dont see any increase in customers down the road. I dont own a pb but I am getting one for my shop and its just a solid machine that you can rely on for the years to come. I know the speedster is great but 2 heads is better than 1. I have been using a gs3 for over a year also now and its great but I can barely keep up when guest come over to my house and ask for like 10 flat whites. Steam power is awesome but the 1 head is a bummer. :lol: I am assuming you have techs in your area that can repair kvw and lm machines? from my understanding techs find repairing lm machines much easier vs the kvw so thats a big deal for me also

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by Terranova »

That decision is heart vs brains.
I would get the Speedster and another single group as back up, although it would be much smarter to just keep the La Marzocco 2g.

ira
Team HB

#5: Post by ira »

Sounds like it's coffee for friends and family, if that's the case I'd do that trade before he had time to blink. But partly Speedster is about as beautiful a machine as there is. Besides it's being a great machine with really good support and parts availability.

Ira

Ringomcd (original poster)

#6: Post by Ringomcd (original poster) »

I really appreciate everyone's feedback, and I agree this is a heart vs brains scenario. My heart's always been larger than my brain so I know the direction I'm leaning. I wish I had a little more hands on experience with a Kees machine, but from everything I've heard is their build quality is impeccable as well as the support. Thanks again for the input, much appreciated.