La Marzocco Linea Mini or Profitec Pro 700?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
ntsimmonds

#1: Post by ntsimmonds »

I am currently in the market for an espresso machine. I am a barista at a low-volume set up but I've been wanting to experiment/grow/train with espresso outside the boundaries of work. I have been doing pour overs in my home daily for the last 2 years and have been trained by a specialty shop close by.

I know this is a big investment for my first machine but I am choosing to do this as an active substitute to having to drive an hour to get really good espresso that isn't what I brew at my shop. The LMLM is appealing because of its simplicity of operation/user-friendliness and its aesthetics/design. The Pro 700 is appealing because it's cheaper, user-serviceable, and well-reviewed. I will not have any opportunity to try out these machines myself.

Goals:
~5 drinks/day general use
entertaining a small group of guests
self-training (back-to-back drinks for 30m+ at a time)
possible espresso bar catering on the side (for special events like weddings, local community events, etc.)

I also know that the grinder is going to play a big part in being able to accomplish those last two goals and I am aiming at the K30, E37s, Profitec T94, and the Sette 270W.

One of the things I really am trying to figure out is whether or not the Pro 700 would be able to handle a multi-hour back-to-back drink making session consisting of mostly milk drinks (10 oz or less). I am fairly certain the LMLM is capable of handling that kind of pressure. But it is a significant step up in price that I would be willing to make but would rather not if I don't absolutely have to. I would really love some feedback/opinions from those of you who have tried or owned both machines at some point!

kwantfm

#2: Post by kwantfm »

I've owned both... the Profitec Pro 700 was my previous machine and the Linea Mini (modified by Rick Bond for preinfusion with needle valve controlled flow) is my current machine. i think that the Linea Mini is, by a significant margin, the better machine. The Linea's build is heavier duty, it's espresso shots a marginal amount better, its steam pressure is significantly greater.
LMWDP #602

Advertisement
ntsimmonds (original poster)

#3: Post by ntsimmonds (original poster) »

kwantfm wrote:its steam pressure is significantly greater.
Have you done any sort of high-volume work on it so far? Like multiple milk drinks in a row? Are you plumbed or using the tank?

keno

#4: Post by keno replying to ntsimmonds »

You might try calling LM and asking them about the LM on the Road series they held to promote the Linea Mini in different cities across the country. I attended one in Portland and the Mini seemed to handle constant shot pulling and steaming without any issues. HB also did a cars and coffee session using the Mini. You should be able to find that by searching HB.

I used to own a different E61 but I have played around with the Pofitec 700 and I agree with kwantfm's points. Based on what you say above the Mini would be significantly better in terms of meeting your needs. Read Chris Tacy's review on HB if you haven't yet, he calls it "a barista's machine." And read this from the founder of Stumptown: http://www.bonappetit.com/drinks/non-al ... a-marzocco

kwantfm

#5: Post by kwantfm »

ntsimmonds wrote:Have you done any sort of high-volume work on it so far? Like multiple milk drinks in a row? Are you plumbed or using the tank?
On a weekend I might do 4-5 milk drinks in a row, hardly high-volume. I use the tank.
LMWDP #602

Mrboots2u

#6: Post by Mrboots2u »

Profitec Pro 700 Review

La Marzocco Linea Mini Review
HB wrote:The Pro 700 is comfortable with a pace of 30 drinks/hour pace; the main gating factor is the steam time, which is around 30 seconds for the small cappuccinos (approximately 5 ounces of milk) and around 60 seconds for lattes (approximately 8 ounces of milk). A top-end commercial espresso machine like the La Marzocco GS/3 would cut that time by more than half.

Lacoffee

#7: Post by Lacoffee »

I find those numbers on the pro700 to be off. I turned up the steam temp (127c 1.4bar or so) and have a foam knife and LM wand on it. It will blow the milk out of a pitcher and steams 8-9oz in 10-12 seconds. No problems with recovery when going back to back given time to redose. And that's on brew preference setting. Just switch it to 20amp and it will be better.
Andrew

Advertisement
thecatch83

#8: Post by thecatch83 »

These two machines are not even close to being in the same class....get the LMLM and don't think twice! The steam performance alone is off the charts, and the temp stability and performance is commercial spec. I can literally turn my Mini on in the morning and pull a shot within 10 minutes. And if that wasn't enough, Dan spent an entire weekend testing the Mini and the pid deviation was something like .7......which is essentially the best you will find in a home machine.

Tanax

#9: Post by Tanax »

Just wanted to chime in and say that obviously they shouldn't be in the same class. Linea Mini is double the price of the Pro 700!!
It should be double the performance. If it is though, is up to you.

kwantfm

#10: Post by kwantfm replying to Tanax »

Interesting... in Australia the Profitec is $4,000 and the Linea Mini is $4,950.
LMWDP #602