La Marzocco Linea Mini or Olympia Maximatic? Which one?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Faspaz

#1: Post by Faspaz »

Howdy, everyone. Long time reader of the forum, first time poster. Great resource for information. I am ready to pull the trigger on my first espresso machine. After months of researching, I have it narrowed down to a La Marzocco Linea Mini and the Olympia Maximatic. Two very different machines, I know. Both very high quality, but one is a DB while the other is an HX. I love the Linea Mini because of La Marzocco's reputation and the DB and steaming power would make it easy to use....almost a "fire-and-forget" kind of a machine. But I am drawn to the Maximatic because in many ways I want to be involved in the making of the espresso. It's more "hands on," which as an engineer is attractive to me. The idea of doing the cooling flush and being able to play with temperature adjustments on the fly is very cool. Plus, the smaller footprint just fits better in my smallish kitchen. (And no bright lights staring me in the face!)

I was hoping to get any of your expert opinions on what you would pick if it came down to those two. I want to start my espresso journey at a high level and avoid what everyone here calls "upgraditis!"

For a grinder, it depends on which espresso machine I decide on. If I go with the Maximatic, I would likely match it with Olympia's Moca grinder. If the Linea Mini, then something like the Fiorenzato 64e, which Chris's Coffee seems to be very keen on. At the end of the day, the price for the two comes in fairly close no matter whether I go with the Olympia package or the Linea Mini/64e package. (I figure I can get Chris's Coffee down a few hundred if I buy both together, or at least have them throw in some freebie accessories.)

Thank you in advance!
Kevin

Advertisement
ds

#2: Post by ds »

Welcome to forums. While I do not own either of these machines, I have had a chance to pull espresso on both, about 100 shots each over couple of days. Linea Mini in my mind is much better, rock solid machine and the espresso is more consistent meaning you will get more good shots out of bag of coffee than Maximatic and its also using standard 58mm baskets which is huge since it opens you up to all commercially available baskets on the market which is super useful. Plus portafilters and all other portafilter related accessories... Additionally service for Linea is easily available in case you need it, and with any machine sooner or later you need it...

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

Despite the similar price tag I think the Linea Mini is a different class of machine, what a professional might want at home. It would help you focus on the extraction, which is plenty enough. Doing the HX flush is no big deal. It just gets you to the temperature you want. If you want really hands on and small footprint, get an Olympia Express Cremina. To my mind a more comparable professional grade machine to the Linea Mini but as an HX is an Elektra T1 Sixties Deliziosa, but that has a large footprint. Others might suggest a different HX with a smaller footprint.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Faspaz (original poster)

#4: Post by Faspaz (original poster) »

drgary wrote: If you want really hands on and small footprint, get an Olympia Express Cremina.
Bingo, Gary, you hit the nail on the head. As soon as I read your post, a light went off in my head. The Cremina is the way to go. I may get the Linea Mini later on and have put machines on my counter to take care of any entertaining. The great thing is, both brands come in similar colors.....I could have a red Cremina, a red Moca, and a red Linea Mini all on the counter of my white kitchen. They would really pop! I think I will call Cerini coffee on Monday after I have slept on it.

Thanks again,
Kevin

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

The Moca grinder looks nice, but I don't know how it compares in grind quality to other grinders recommended here. (I truly don't know.) That might be something to think about, whether HG-1, Versalab, K30 Vario, etc.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!