La Marzocco Leva Single Group

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
InvisibleZ

#1: Post by InvisibleZ »

Looking into a new espresso machine. I was deciding between the ECM Synchronika, LM GS3MP, and Slayer. At the showroom, I came across the Leva and was immediately drawn to it by the looks (and... how pure the process is in comparison).

I am looking for the end game, and I crazy to go for the Leva?

I am looking to make both expressos and milk drinks at home. We host dinner parties at times but this is mostly my toy.

I am looking to become a student of coffee making and would like to get a machine that I can learn and explore with. Am I making the "wrong" choice by going with the Leva?

If not the Leva, ECM, GS3MP or Slayer?

BladeAndStone
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by BladeAndStone »

Since you say you would like to explore, I would be drawn more toward the GS3 MP or the Slayer more so. The pressure profiling and ease of adjustment would be main reasons. From having owned 3 levers in the past I would go for a traditional lever before the Leva... the design on traditional levers have been around for decades, tried and true.

erik82

#3: Post by erik82 »

The GS3 MP will not give you near the control and quality the Leva will give you. You can't compare the Leva to a traditional lever as it has much more options than a traditional lever, it's more like a pressure profiling machine. I'd go for the Leva.

russel

#4: Post by russel »

Frankly, if you're really looking to study the intricacies of espresso you should be getting a Decent. All other espresso makIng is just inference and assumption. There's always a place for equipment that satisfies different pursuits, tactile and/or ideological pleasures...but if you're pursuing laboratory precision in espresso making, the Decent is currently your only legitimate option.

If you're looking for a trophy, then I would recommend the Leva or Slayer over the GS3. Having owned 2, I find them underwhelming and filled with design/aesthetic compromises that are disappointing despite simultaneously being its core product strengths. I personally covet a Kees.

For other who just want to enjoy brewing and drinking excellent espresso there are many machines that offer enjoyment and pleasure limited only by your own palate, ego, and insecurities.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by Terranova »

InvisibleZ wrote: I am looking for the end game, and I crazy to go for the Leva?
Yea go for it!
It's great fun, I had a 2 group but then I am lucky to have a Slayer v2 instead.

smite

#6: Post by smite »

Do you have confirmation of the Leva in a single group? I currently have a Decent and a GS3MP at home myself.

BaristaBoy E61

#7: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Terranova wrote:Yea go for it!
It's great fun, I had a 2 group but then I am lucky to have a Slayer v2 instead. image

In a choice between a La Marzocco Leva 1-group and a KvdW Speedster Idromatic 1-group, what would you choose and why?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

cebseb

#8: Post by cebseb »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote: In a choice between a La Marzocco Leva 1-group and a KvdW Speedster Idromatic 1-group, what would you choose and why?
Very interested in the answer. Following!

NelisB

#9: Post by NelisB »

smite wrote:Do you have confirmation of the Leva in a single group? I currently have a Decent and a GS3MP at home myself.
Yes.

smite

#10: Post by smite replying to NelisB »

very nice. I would seriously consider it if I didn't already have my current kit.