La Marzocco GS3 vs ECM Synchronika

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
leonelbego

#1: Post by leonelbego »

Hi all,

I would kindly like to ask you for your comments or advice.

I do have a ECM Synchronika which I find very nice, but I am having the chance to buy a Marzocco GS3 AV (I am not interest in the MP, can't bother with the whole manual thing).....

Do you think the upgrade would be worth it? I tried the GS3 and the most impressive for me was the steam, is a beast and the option of programming the shot by volume, that's a nice option if you are all dialed in... also, the hot water is useable, on my ECM is honestly crap, the water sprays everywhere and I always burn my hands...

One thing that I don't like on the GS3 is the looks, I find it horrendous... but if the machine is as great as the reviews say and people say, is it then worth it?

I know everything is personal, but I just would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks a lot,
Leo

rwerner75

#2: Post by rwerner75 »

Do you have the new upgraded PID? If not this gets you 2 bar steam pressure, I have a profitec pro 700 so I understand what you are saying about the hot water wand, I don't find it too bad but I get it. I've never used a GS3, I'm sure it's rock solid and consistent, I'm not sure how much "in the cup" difference you'll see, but the workflow will likely be a bit nicer as well as having a saturated group.

Ryan

leonelbego (original poster)

#3: Post by leonelbego (original poster) replying to rwerner75 »

Hi, thank you so much for your reply :)

Do you mean if I have the new upgraded PID on the Synchronika? If yes, then yes :) my Synchronika is a 2019 model (see picture attached).

May I kindly ask what is the benefit in having a "saturated group"?

I just wonder if I would be silly upgrading if the Synchronika is already a very good one or if I should take the chance I got now and get the GS3 AV that every body says is amazing.

Thanks a lot,
Leo

maki

#4: Post by maki »

your ECM is a E61 group machine, had one myself some time ago.
then i upgraded to a LM, although not GS3 but Linea 1 group.

hands down another lever machine, and it's in the cup too.
double boilers, saturated group, rotative pump, preinfusion - and the list can go on.

would i go back to E61? hell no.
are there better machines? yes, but also their price goes up.

my 2 cents. and all is subjective, obviously.
LMWDP #630

#5: Post by leonelbego (original poster) replying to maki »

Hi Maki,

Thanks a lot :)

Was the difference so big?

When you say dual boiler, my ECM Synchronika is also dual boiler.

What is the difference between saturated group and E61?

So, you think I will taste also a difference in the cup? Worth the upgrade?

Thanks,
Leo

maki

#6: Post by maki »

you must realize we all have different taste buds, even the taste itself differ - i may prefer a darker roast than you, thus expect something from the cup you could detest!

regarding saturated groups - this defines it better than me:
Saturated group heads are essentially surrounded by an extended section of the boiler. This means they warm up much faster than E61 group heads and hold a specified temperature more precisely.
basically this is the waterflow:

and it looks like this:
LMWDP #630

#7: Post by leonelbego (original poster) »

Thank you very much! Very helpful :)

Wattbe

#8: Post by Wattbe »

leonelbego wrote:Hi all,

I would kindly like to ask you for your comments or advice.

I do have a ECM Synchronika which I find very nice, but I am having the chance to buy a Marzocco GS3 AV (I am not interest in the MP, can't bother with the whole manual thing).....

Do you think the upgrade would be worth it? I tried the GS3 and the most impressive for me was the steam, is a beast and the option of programming the shot by volume, that's a nice option if you are all dialed in... also, the hot water is useable, on my ECM is honestly crap, the water sprays everywhere and I always burn my hands...

One thing that I don't like on the GS3 is the looks, I find it horrendous... but if the machine is as great as the reviews say and people say, is it then worth it?

I know everything is personal, but I just would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks a lot,
Leo
Hi Leo,

I upgraded from a Synchronika to a GS3 about 18 months ago.
I opted for the MP version as I'd been intrigued by the whole pressure/flow profiling thing for a while.
I'm 100% pleased with the move.
However, if I'm being honest, for medium roasted beans, I couldn't say if the GS3 made a tastier shot. The Synchronika is a very good machine too.
I agree with you about the looks of the GS3, I ended up customising mine which I feel makes it look prettier! It's easy enough to do yourself and the only limitation is your imagination.

If you're after tastier shots, then I'm not sure a standard GS3 AV will give you that. But it will give you supreme temperature stability and almost endless steaming if you make a lot of drinks in quick succession. And yes, the hot water wand on the GS3 is a hugely better than the Synchronika - I use it for tea on a daily basis which has the added benefit of refreshing the steam boiler water.
I guess it depends on what you're trying to achieve by upgrading.
If you want any specific comparison between the two machines, then feel free to ask.

All the best,

Ben

#9: Post by leonelbego (original poster) replying to Wattbe »

Oh woow thanks Ben. I do appreciate your reply. You basically did what I am wanting to do now already :)

I know (or maybe) that the taste in the cup probably won't be much different if I get the GS3 AV, but I do not want to go to the MP, I like more the simplicity of pressing a knob and that's it, I am sure the profiling thingy on the MP will be overwhelming for me...

The most impressive for me on the GS3 AV compared to my Synchronika is the steam, that thing is a beast, the hot water dispenser is super good and I like that the machine is a little "lower" than the Synchronika. So there are plenty of things that I love on the GS3 AV compared to the Synchronika but not sure if that would be sufficient to justified the upgrade.

I love the colors on yours, I was thinking if I would were to get the GS3 to upgraded with the walnut wood panels and the other wooden things....

I honestly not sure what to do. Is the GS3 AV meant to be for super knowledgeable home barista people? Cause I am not, I know the basics and I'm a enthusiastic but I only make 2-3 coffees a day during the week and more on the weekends....

Did you decide to upgrade from your Synchronika yo the GS3 only for the Manual profiling? Any cons that you could tell me on the GS3 in general?

Thanks again Ben,
Leo

#10: Post by leonelbego (original poster) »

I have read that the GS3 AV has such a fast flow rate that it gets to channel quite a lot? Even with perfect distribution...

Any comments on this? Or any experience with this?

Thanks all,
Leo